Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the cold weather upon us I started noticing that the rear defroster doesn't do too well...It took me a while to finally come to a conclusion that it indeed doesn't seem to work.
So, I read up about defroster grid repair and things of that nature, and started doing it the proper way - voltmeter out and at it.
Well. the reading seemed ok, so that left me with the only possible reason - the grid must be not connected to the ground....God damn, I hate pulling off interiour trim pieces.

Surely the ground connector was not plugged in to the grid. I suspect nobody even tried connecting it - the wire was resting peacefully all the way away from where it should've been. I spend following 20 minutes doing the contortionist act of trying to plug the ground connector to the grid though a small opening the trim allowed without more serious disasembly.
But I got it, the grid works now.

I am constantly amazed at those seemingly impossible tasks a humah hand can do. All you need is some time twisting your wrist about and it somehow works out eventually.

Also love those thick bendable interious plastics in the Bu..you can abuse them a little and they don't break.

Those unionized assembly workers! Argh :mad:

·
Registered
126 Posts
With the cold weather upon us I started noticing that the rear defroster doesn't do too well...It took me a while to finally come to a conclusion that it indeed doesn't seem to work.
So, I read up about defroster grid repair and things of that nature, and started doing it the proper way - voltmeter out and at it.
Well. the reading seemed ok, so that left me with the only possible reason - the grid must be not connected to the ground....God damn, I hate pulling off interiour trim pieces.

Surely the ground connector was not plugged in to the grid. I suspect nobody even tried connecting it - the wire was resting peacefully all the way away from where it should've been. I spend following 20 minutes doing the contortionist act of trying to plug the ground connector to the grid though a small opening the trim allowed without more serious disasembly.
But I got it, the grid works now.

I am constantly amazed at those seemingly impossible tasks a humah hand can do. All you need is some time twisting your wrist about and it somehow works out eventually.

Also love those thick bendable interious plastics in the Bu..you can abuse them a little and they don't break.

Those unionized assembly workers! Argh :mad:
Yury,

Wow I am so glad my defroster works!! Good work figuring out what it was I am amazed QA did not pick up it was not connected.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, i dunno, I guess mistakes do happen. Not a big deal :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Glad to hear you fixed it up. Thats something I would have just taken it to the dealership for. Lol

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear you fixed it up. Thats something I would have just taken it to the dealership for. Lol
I would normally too. I started off with just trying to prove 100% to myself that it does not work and that I am not imagining things. One thing led to another....:) Also it ended up being more convenient to me because I fixed it up at night during the work week..

·
Registered
71 Posts
My rear defogger stopped working just a few weeks after I got the car in October.

Anyway, the connector is actually broken off at the back window - you can see where it broke off because it looks chipped on the inside.

So, the dealer is going to replace the back window on the car very soon - it's a warranty fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.