Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a 2017 Malibu with, what's supposed to be, "premium Bose audio"
Yes, the speakers have the Bose tag on them.
Anyways, the bass is virtually nonexistent. It's rather embarrassing the poor level of audio quality for being referred to as "premium audio."

Can I get some feedback on who has done speaker replacements? Especially to at least improve the bass. I mean come on, my $150 airpods provide exponentially far more bass lol..

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,002 Posts
Anyways, the bass is honestly nonexistent. It's rather embarrassing the poor level of audio quality for being referred to as "premium audio."

Who has done speaker replacements with no modification of stock mounts? I'm looking for a direct fit. If a direct fit is not a possible thing, then I will seek alternatives, but I am most interested in a direct fit right now. Especially to at least improve the bass. I mean come on, my $150 airpods provide exponentially far more bass lol..
I personally don't like GM's Bose implementation at all but I wouldn't say the bass is non-existent if working properly. Have you checked the wiring on the two rear speakers from inside the trunk to make sure they aren't disconnected?

I moved your discussion over to the modifications section. You might use the advanced search feature to see what others have done. While waiting for responses you might also check Crutchfield as solutions there usually have info on other adapter brackets or necessary (or not necessary) modification.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Anyways, the bass is honestly nonexistent. It's rather embarrassing the poor level of audio quality for being referred to as "premium audio."

Who has done speaker replacements with no modification of stock mounts? I'm looking for a direct fit. If a direct fit is not a possible thing, then I will seek alternatives, but I am most interested in a direct fit right now. Especially to at least improve the bass. I mean come on, my $150 airpods provide exponentially far more bass lol..
Stock mounts are part of the stock speakers. That's why mounting kits are needed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Anyways, the bass is virtually nonexistent. It's rather embarrassing the poor level of audio quality for being referred to as "premium audio."

Can I get some feedback on who has done speaker replacements? Especially to at least improve the bass. I mean come on, my $150 airpods provide exponentially far more bass lol..
I am a bit of an audiophile and have some experience with auto audio suppliers so take this for what's its worth.

While I am not a big fan of Bose, they usually produce good base (I have the same system on my 2016). Either you really like bass (or are use to a big a$$ sub in a different car) or have something configured incorrectly. As simple as it sounds, I would jack up the bass setting in the audio controls. If someone tinkered with the wiring of the speakers, I would check to make sure the speakers are in phase (having one speaker wired backward kills the bass).

The factory Bose speakers are typically well matched to the radio's power and car's interior. You may get lucky finding a better speaker but most likely you won't improve the performance that much if at all (you may get a single note boom boom bass that appears to sound better, until you listen to it over time).

I have replaced Bose with Polks many times, though this was more for clarity than bass (the bass usually was not as good as the Bose). If you replace them, make sure to take note of the speaker's impedance. Replacing a 2 ohm Bose with a 4 ohm speaker will decrease you bass, not improve it.

If you really want good bass you need power, more than the what you can get from the Malibu head unit. it may be easier just to supplement the Malibu speakers with an add-on powered subwoofer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just put a Kicker powered sub under the driver seat to supplement the existing Bose system. The bass on the head unit is now left flat and the stock system isn't overtaxed trying to produce bass. I did have to disable the ANR.
I supplied details including wire colors under the "adding an amp" thread, or similar, but since board re-design a while back, I can't tell you where to find it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,002 Posts
I supplied details including wire colors under the "adding an amp" thread, or similar, but since board re-design a while back, I can't tell you where to find it.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's it. I thought I posted a copy of the wiring diagram too, but maybe not. There were a couple of threads on this topic.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2019 LT with standard audio system.
So far, I replaced the rear door speakers with Kicker 6.5" 2 way coax speakers. Noticeable improvement. Bass is tighter and less cleaner, upper frequencies are more clear. But the location near the bottom of the back doors colors the sound pretty heavily, they are both aimed into the canyon between the front and back seats, which is not so good for sound quality anyway.
Next step I replaced the front pillar tweeters with the $8 Power Acoustik tweeters sold almost everywhere. This boosted the high frequencies a lot but at my age I don't hear really high frequencies so good anyway. All of a sudden the cymbals really stand out! So I cut the treble on the console Equalizer screen, still sounds better than before.
Just be sure you match the impedance (4 ohm) when you replace any of the speakers. Next step, when the warranty ends, will be to replace all front speakers with matched woofer & tweeter sets (maybe Kicker, Rockford Fosgate similar level) and replace the amp module with aftermarket. Music means a lot to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts