Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi I'm trying to put in a sub system in my 08 Malibu hybrid but I can't find a place to run my amp power cable from the battery through my car and to the amp any body know where I can do that or do I have to drill a hole in my floor?

·
Registered
701 Posts
jerrytharat00 - Usually you can find a whole in the fire wall......Typically the best spot found is in the passenger's footwell / firewall area inside the car. You may have to pull back the carpet and look around.

Maybe check with your service department at the dealership and ask them if they know of any good spots to access the firewall to run a cable through. Just a thought.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hi I'm trying to put in a sub system in my 08 Malibu hybrid but I can't find a place to run my amp power cable from the battery through my car and to the amp any body know where I can do that or do I have to drill a hole in my floor?

I ran mine through the firewall on the drivers side. I ran it through the firewall where the hood release wire goes. I got a coathanger and just pushed it through. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I ran mine through the firewall on the drivers side. I ran it through the firewall where the hood release wire goes. I got a coathanger and just pushed it through. Hope this helps!
yeah...just go thru the rubber grommet for the hood release cable & then put the grommet back (not pictured, lol):

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey I am trying to hook up an amp in my 2008 malibu LS...I need some help, I dont know where to connect the blue remote wire...if anyone can help me out I would definitely appreciate it, thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey I am trying to hook up an amp in my 2008 malibu LS...I need some help, I dont know where to connect the blue remote wire...if anyone can help me out I would definitely appreciate it, thanks!
If your car has a factory amp, then you just tap into the Pink wire (in the wiring harness/loom) going to the factory amp

I did a how to/write up on my install in my (old) '08 Aura XR (very similar to the Malibu), but it's on Saturnfans.com & the site is down right now

But here's the factory amp (behind passenger tail light) in the Aura & then the pink wire going to the factory amp (GM uses the same color codes for their wires...pink is the remote wire):

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey thanks a lot that really helped me a lot, I should finally have these subs up n running soon...i found the amp in the trunk I'm good to go, those pics helped a huge amount

·
Registered
569 Posts
Is it possible to get some better subs using the factory one? I love the upgraded stereo and wouldnt really want to have to put in an after market to get some sub pre outs

·
Registered
5 Posts
I suppose u could just change the factory subs, but if you wanna get preouts you dont neccissarily have to change the factory radio, i didnt wanna change my radio either so i bought a high level to rca converter from bestbuy...it cost 26 bucks...I just splice the rear speakers into it and run the rcas straight out of it, and another plus i felt was you dont even have to run the rca all the way to the front and take apart the dash n everything...ima gonna complete all this this weekend, ill let you know how the sound quality is

·
Registered
569 Posts
I suppose u could just change the factory subs, but if you wanna get preouts you dont neccissarily have to change the factory radio, i didnt wanna change my radio either so i bought a high level to rca converter from bestbuy...it cost 26 bucks...I just splice the rear speakers into it and run the rcas straight out of it, and another plus i felt was you dont even have to run the rca all the way to the front and take apart the dash n everything...ima gonna complete all this this weekend, ill let you know how the sound quality is
please let us know! ive never been a big fan of doing the rca-pre outs on the ear speakers but ive never had a car that already had a decent system.. Ive always gutted and replaced everything lol..

I know already my back dash rattles with the factory speakers.. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is it possible to get some better subs using the factory one? I love the upgraded stereo and wouldnt really want to have to put in an after market to get some sub pre outs
you gotta do what I did in that install link

Tap into the rear speakers & use a line output converter & then that'll give you the sub pre-outs to run to an aftermarket amp & aftermarket subs

OR you just leave the factory setup

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I finally did the install, sorry for the long wait! It turned out that my amp has a built-in high to low level converter which means the high level to rca was not needed. Its a new Kenwood with 1000 watts peak and 500 continuous pushing 2 precision power 10s. The high to low level input converter also has a signal sensing turn on, so the remote wire was not needed either, so the install was a lot easier than i thought it would be. I will post pictures tomorrow on what it looks like and the wiring. I am happy to say that the sound is very good, the bass is nice and deep and hits hard. Its about as good as you could want with out changing the factory stereo. If you want anymore info hit me up!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have two 10s and an amp. I don't have it hooked up yet in my 08' LS, but i would like more info on how to hook it up. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 hybrid. Does the amp mess with the hybrid system. Ive done audio systems before, but the hybrid system scares me lol. I'm going to be installing a 12 inch ken wood sub. If you could post pics that would be awsome

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, ive done a few installs but all were on older models before the whole automobile computers explosion..

I have an 08 malibu LT with OnStar. (No 6 disc changer).

At first I plan on just running power back to my amp, hooking up my aftermarket HU with the radio antenna adapter and the correct wiring harness for the 08. And running a remote and rca cables back to the amp. I know that without an axxess or some similar control module I will lose my volume and seek controls on the steering wheel (I will probably add this at a later date). After doing this is was wondering if..

1. I would lose my cruise control on the steering wheel

2. Lose my blinker sounds and other things of that nature

3. Lose my OnStar (not a huge deal, not subscribed anyway)

Bonus
4. Just out of curiosity, the new HU I am installing has bluetooth capabilities and an external mic. Is there any way to hook it to the OnStar mic rather than trying to find a place to wire the mic to?

Thanks alot guys in advance. I apologize if this is in the wrong spot or if all of this has been said a million times. I have read through tons of stuff that's helpful, just wanted to clarify a few things..

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,203 Posts
1. No. CC is a separate circuit.

2. Sounds will be lost unless your new HU has an adapter built in or you use an external one.

3. Not sure about losing On*.

4. The On* mic has a connector up inside the overhead console. You can unplug it and it mic has only 2 screws to remove it. You can then make a short test wire harness to see if it has the correct electrical properties that allow you to use it on the new HU. Accessing the OH console is pretty easy. I've been in it so many times in my former Gen7 that now I know how to unlatch all the little plastic catches without breaking them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.