Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just upgraded the awful speakers from the LT. I will give some advice that will save you a bunch of time and frustration.

1. The speaker only upgrade made a substantial improvement, I recommend starting with that before you screw with an amp
- this is what I got, I love Focal, but there are so many good options. Focal Integration ISS 165 $180 and Focal RCX-165 $119
- I purchased from Crutchfield, they matched prices, provided a guide, and the mount and harnesses. They had good customer support, I called them to figure out what was + and - for the tweeters. I forget what it was so if someone else does this please let others know.

2. Important!...Get this tool Panel Clip Pliers and this set of nylon pry bars. I did the first door without the pliers and the others with, the three with went much better. You can get them at Amazon for around twice that of HF, but still cheap.

3. If you get your bracket from Crutchfield you need to cut the tabs off the mounting bracket to fit a 6.75 speakers. direction do not say that. a knife works but a dremel works really well.

4. The removal of the window up/down apprentice is a bit tricky, you need to really pull. this is where the nylon pry bars help. you may think you will break them, but you will not so keep going. There are two screws you have to remove from under this piece so no getting around it.

5. Important!...when removing the door panel after you pop the rivet with the panel pliers you do not have to lift the door out off the window mount. It is hard to put back on! so just kind of pull it away and you will have plenty of room to work. Watch a video if you have not used panel pliers before

6. Use the panel pliers to pry out the old speaker after you take out the screw.

7. Use the panel pliers to remove the old harness, after you pull the red clip it is hard to pull out, but the pliers makes it easy

8. to put the new harness in use a large tongue and grove pliers if you have them, if not worth getting a pair anyway. It made it simple.

9. If you use the same speakers and mount as me screw the speaker to the mount prior to putting it in the car. Then it is just one simple screw in the car.

10. This takes a bit of solder or crimp connectors, nothing hard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just upgraded the awful speakers from the LT. I will give some advice that will save you a bunch of time and frustration.

1. The speaker only upgrade made a substantial improvement, I recommend starting with that before you screw with an amp
- this is what I got, I love Focal, but there are so many good options. Focal Integration ISS 165 $180 and Focal RCX-165 $119
- I purchased from Crutchfield, they matched prices, provided a guide, and the mount and harnesses. They had good customer support, I called them to figure out what was + and - for the tweeters. I forget what it was so if someone else does this please let others know.

2. Important!...Get this tool Panel Clip Pliers and this set of nylon pry bars. I did the first door without the pliers and the others with, the three with went much better. You can get them at Amazon for around twice that of HF, but still cheap.

3. If you get your bracket from Crutchfield you need to cut the tabs off the mounting bracket to fit a 6.75 speakers. direction do not say that. a knife works but a dremel works really well.

4. The removal of the window up/down apprentice is a bit tricky, you need to really pull. this is where the nylon pry bars help. you may think you will break them, but you will not so keep going. There are two screws you have to remove from under this piece so no getting around it.

5. Important!...when removing the door panel after you pop the rivet with the panel pliers you do not have to lift the door out off the window mount. It is hard to put back on! so just kind of pull it away and you will have plenty of room to work. Watch a video if you have not used panel pliers before

6. Use the panel pliers to pry out the old speaker after you take out the screw.

7. Use the panel pliers to remove the old harness, after you pull the red clip it is hard to pull out, but the pliers makes it easy

8. to put the new harness in use a large tongue and grove pliers if you have them, if not worth getting a pair anyway. It made it simple.

9. If you use the same speakers and mount as me screw the speaker to the mount prior to putting it in the car. Then it is just one simple screw in the car.

10. This takes a bit of solder or crimp connectors, nothing hard.
Component set for the front and coaxial for the rear doors?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts