Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I wanted to know if the Malibu had auto dimming driver side/rear view mirror's? I have been trying to find the answer but so far the results are inconclusive. I am 99% sure the rear view mirror is auto dimming, but I don't know how many cars in this class have a driver side auto dimming mirror.

I ask this because ever since my father had cataract surgery he see's halo's at night when people are driving behind him. He loves his auto dimming mirror's in his other vehicle since it kills the glare. Only interested in the LTZ btw.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Re: Auto-Dimming Mirror's?

My 2009 LTZ has the Auto Dimming Rear View and Drivers Side Mirror.

·
Registered
569 Posts

Yes they do, I had Lasik surgery about 3 years ago and since then I have developed the halos and a bad light sensitivity in my vision. My old car (Scion tC) did not have these and I must say it does make a nice difference in night time driving.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yes they do, I had Lasik surgery about 3 years ago and since then I have developed the halos and a bad light sensitivity in my vision. My old car (Scion tC) did not have these and I must say it does make a nice difference in night time driving.
Thats great, I will inform my father. It will make picking the Malibu over any other vehicle that much easier. Thanks :D

·
Registered
126 Posts

Please keep in mind for the LTZ it will only dime the driver side mirror and the rear view mirror. Its quite nice when it does that, however the passenger mirror does not dim.

·
Registered
795 Posts

My 2009 LTZ has the Auto Dimming Rear View and Drivers Side Mirror.
Looking at the chevy web site auto dimming is also standard on the 2LT.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts

Looking at the chevy web site auto dimming is also standard on the 2LT.
Yes, it is. The auto dimming rearview is standard on the 2LT & LTZ, but the LTZ also adds the auto dimming driver's side mirror.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts

I second that. I only have the auto rearview in my 2LT, it is nice.
Besides dimming, I like the way it becomes all greenish when changing :)

·
Registered
749 Posts

Automatic dimming is standard on rearview mirror in the 2LT.
Automatic dimming is standard on rearview mirror and driver's side exterior mirror on LTZ.
Automatic dimming is not available on LS, 1LT, or Hybrid [Hybrid needs verification] trims.

EDIT: Sorry didn't look at other posts before doing my own LOL

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Please keep in mind for the LTZ it will only dime the driver side mirror and the rear view mirror. Its quite nice when it does that, however the passenger mirror does not dim.
I understand, thats all it needs to do. Dual Auto-Dimming side view mirrors would of been awesome though. Maybe in the next gen?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I agree it would be awesome :D
I think they only do dual auto dimming mirror's on luxury cars now. Just like everything else though it will trickle down to cars like the Malibu, in time.

·
Registered
246 Posts

These cars are not cheap. They just cost less than the LTZ. They could have pre-wired the mirrors just in case people wanted to add them to their cars, including the fog lamps. There are a lot of vehicles out there that are pre-wired to do this. You just have to come out of pocket to get them put on.

·
Registered
18 Posts

wonder if it's possible to switch the manual dimming mirror for the auto mirror? some wiring would be there for onstar, but not sure if need other wiring for compass, etc

·
Registered
493 Posts

wonder if it's possible to switch the manual dimming mirror for the auto mirror? some wiring would be there for onstar, but not sure if need other wiring for compass, etc
Sorry but you wouldn't be able to swap for an auto dimming rear view mirror, there's not gonna be the wiring for it. GM doesn't use the same wiring harnesses from the base model up to the top model for any of it's vehicles. There are extra wiring harnesses in the upper models compared to the base line and second level. You would have to wire up the auto dimming rear view mirror to a power source. On GM's brands of Cadillac's and Buick's they only have the drivers side auto dimming mirror, since most people look in the drivers mirror the most.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts

Actually, in relation to the rearview mirror, cars with and without DO have the same harness in most cases--this is a very, very common swap.

Case in point, the G8 regardless of model comes with only the manual rearview mirror with Onstar controls & the passenger airbag light. Since rearview mirrors are a cross swappable part across pretty much every GM vehicle, G8 owner's have been popping on & plugging in auto dim mirrors sourced out of anything from a CTS to a Monte Carlo to a Trailblazer. Same with the Lambda crossovers, in which a few people I've read of with base models have done the same kind of swap from, again, a variety of other GM vehicles with dimming. When it comes to rearview mirrors and GM, more often than not it really is just plug & play to any other with the Onstar controls.

So with a Malibu, it shouldn't be that hard at all...just need a matching Onstar rearview mirror with auto dimming and you should be good to go with a simple plug in. Side view mirrors, as said, are a different story--most of the time.

·
Registered
18 Posts

thanks for the info Beach, that's kinda what I was thinking. I'm more concerned about the interior mirror vs the driver's mirror.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.