Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to give the auto start function an extra 10 min runtime? I read in the manual that the auto start can run for up to 20 min, but you have to set it a second time. Do you just hold the start button down like you were going to autostart it again? I just wanted to be sure before I did something stupid like damage my starter. Just thought that it would be nice to know before winter.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Noo it means up to 20 minutes total - not consecutive. It will run for 10 minutes before it turns itself off. You can then restart it to run an additional 10 minutes. Once it's turned itself off the 2nd time you will have to go out and turn it on manually by key. You cannot change the duration for the autostarter.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Once you've remote started it the first time and it's running for the default 10 minutes, you can repeat the same process while it is doing so of Lock then Start on the remote, adding another 10 minutes. If you just press Start alone again, it will turn off.

http://us.ard.yahoo.com/S=2023208430/SIG=132ro8bkr/*http://content.gmownercenter.yahoo.com/docs/manuals/chevrolet/2008_chevrolet_malibu_owners.pdf

That's, at least, according to the manual I've just read. I've never let mine go that long.

·
Registered
112 Posts
it is a safety feature . ie some idots would have it running in the garage for an hour is they could. i never use the remote wish it did not have it. but alas i paid for it.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
it is a safety feature . ie some idots would have it running in the garage for an hour is they could. i never use the remote wish it did not have it. but alas i paid for it.
Why not? 10 or 20 minutes is too long, regardless, unless you just want to burn fuel unnecessarily, but I still find it extremely useful just to have the car running a minute before I jump in so it either has a few seconds to get things circulating and/or heat or cool the interior. Perfect example, today was the first day I've had the 'Bu when it frosted lightly on the windshield so I turned the heat to full on the windshield last night, started it from inside while I got my coat on & grabbed some stuff, and it was clear and warm after the few minutes.

Great feature, and I've loved it ever since my G6 this past summer. Just don't use it to idle 20+ minutes...sheesh, 5 at most will have the heat or A/C going well enough.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Question: When you remote start your car, do you just stick the key in the ignition once you're ready to go?

It's something I've always wondered but never got the chance to play with...

·
Registered
749 Posts
You just put the key in and turn it to on. No need to go all the way to ignition since the engine is already running. I use it on a daily basis now that it's getting freezing in MA

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why not? 10 or 20 minutes is too long, regardless, unless you just want to burn fuel unnecessarily, but I still find it extremely useful just to have the car running a minute before I jump in so it either has a few seconds to get things circulating and/or heat or cool the interior. Perfect example, today was the first day I've had the 'Bu when it frosted lightly on the windshield so I turned the heat to full on the windshield last night, started it from inside while I got my coat on & grabbed some stuff, and it was clear and warm after the few minutes.

Great feature, and I've loved it ever since my G6 this past summer. Just don't use it to idle 20+ minutes...sheesh, 5 at most will have the heat or A/C going well enough.
I agree that 20 minutes is too long to have the vehicle running. I work overnights and my vehicle sits outside at night and in my garage during the day. I also car pool with people and I have enjoyed using the remote start to defrost the windows and warm up the vehicle a little before we get in in the morning. It has not happened yet but sometimes, something will come up at the last minute. Instead of the vehicle turning off I just thought on the few occasions this happens I would increase the timer...especially when its several degrees below zero, plus wind chill in the next couple of months. I only wish the heated seats turned on automatically...:)

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Instead of the vehicle turning off I just thought on the few occasions this happens I would increase the timer...especially when its several degrees below zero, plus wind chill in the next couple of months. I only wish the heated seats turned on automatically...:)
Yep, just do the lock-start thing again and it should extend 10 more minutes.

I agree on the heated seats...oh well;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Auto Start - Heated Seats

I'm with you guys as well for the heated seat issue. My previous vehicles would allow me to set it and forget it. I'm not sure why it was designed to shut off at every ignition cycle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have to disagree with most of the posts here. Why should the manufacturers decide that after two instances of autostart that I should have to walk outside to physically turn the key before the autostart can work again?

I find this so frustrating, and am considering having an aftermarket autostart installed as a result. I have a Viper autostart in my wife's truck (F-150) and it will run for 24 minutes before shutting off but you can start it as many times as you wish until you run out of fuel. My car has a two-way Viper autostart and it is configured the same way.

I agree that most people in the lower 48 don't need to have the car run more than the ten minutes or twice the starts but I live in Alaska. I plug my bu block heater in when I get home, it runs all evening and night. When I get ready to go in the morning, I autostart the car. My phone timers tells me when the car is about to shut off and I extend the time w/ the 2nd start. Even then when I go out after roughly the 20 minutes of runtime, the window is barely starting to defrost and the car is cold inside. As I live in Alaska and it is cold up here I know that it is different than being in Arizona but I still feel that the lack of option is punishing me into getting an aftermarket part because GM decided to limit the autostart way down from aftermarket autostarts. :(

The sad thing is, this is a programming option, GM could put in a software change to modify this if they got enough complaints. Somewhere there is a duration timer as well as a counter for number of starts be it in a chip, or in the computer or somewhere. It's not like this is on a string with a weight and after ten minutes the weight hits the ground and you have to wind it back up again.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The thing about just letting it idle when its cold, is that itll take FAR longer to warm up Ive noticed with ANY car. If you auto start it then get in about 2 minutes later and let the car run at around 1500-1800 itll be up to full temp rather fast.

Far easier than starting the car and letting it run for 45 minutes before getting in plus you're running the car was shorter and not using as much fuel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
well i live in alaska as well and i have no prob with the car only being able to run twice. i think it is plenty of time. When i get i my car after one start the car is pretty warm if i let it go for two then it is actully a little to hot in the car for my taste. I do use the auto temp so mabe that is it what about you guys. I do agree on the seat warmer part i wish you could turn them on with the remote start.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The thing about just letting it idle when its cold, is that itll take FAR longer to warm up Ive noticed with ANY car. If you auto start it then get in about 2 minutes later and let the car run at around 1500-1800 itll be up to full temp rather fast.

Far easier than starting the car and letting it run for 45 minutes before getting in plus you're running the car was shorter and not using as much fuel.
If I were in zero degree weather that'd be fine... try telling your kids that they can just go out and get in the car at 30 below and it'll warm up. My other vehicles simply run for an extra 20 minutes and they're warm inside when we get in. Not like 70 degree warm but well above zero anyhow.

Besides, I'd like to have the choice and make it myself.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Im saying itll warm up WAY faster and use far less fuel if YOU, not your kids, get in there and actually give it a little RPM to get the "juices" flowing in the car. I mean do you get warm if you sit in your house doing barely anything or if you freaking run around for about 5 minutes youll start to sweat a little. Same thing with the car.

Anyways, if you want the choice yourself get an aftermarket remote start. GM has done this on ALL of the new 09 vehicles with remote start IIRC.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know of a way to have the heated seats on with the auto start? It's been mentioned here but anyone tried to find a way to make it happen?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a question about auto start. When you get in the car and put the key in and turn it to run what would happen if you go to the start position. I hope it will not allow the starter to run.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have a question about auto start. When you get in the car and put the key in and turn it to run what would happen if you go to the start position. I hope it will not allow the starter to run.
The start dris disabled and it will not try to start after a remote start and you put the key in and try to crank it

·
Registered
192 Posts
On the time limit thing, I assumed that it was a concession to the government regulators at the EPA and such that would like to outlaw "warming up" your vehicle all together. I know that there are some cities that have outlawed it already.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.