Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain how the "automatic defrost" should work when this option is turned on? According to the manual it appears to only be an option to work with Automatic climate controls; however, I do not have automatic climate controls. But, the feature is available to me under my "Vehicle Personalization" menu. And no, it has never worked.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,301 Posts
I have the traditional "manual" controls in my 2016 LT with remote start. I also have options for auto defrost/defog and auto rear defog under the settings. If I enable, it will turn on with every remote start but sometimes the upper defrost/ac and defog still turn on when the car deems it necessary based on windshield temp, humidity, and outside temp. It will turn on the rear when necessary. In both cases, it seems the car gets it right. However, if I disable both, it will turn on automatically sometimes just less often. It seems I have some control, not full control. When I first got the car they worked opposite. Off was always on and on was usually off. I got an update that swapped that but it is still a bit odd.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear works, and actually comes on quite often...even when it isn't needed. The manual makes it sound like the rear window has different criteria than the front. There have been plenty of times when I have needed to "defog" both (I wrote "defrost" but I meant defog which in my area is usually - but not always - accompanied by frost on the outside). I will switch it and see what happens.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Let me ask this: what are you expecting it to do besides the obvious, defrost the window?

Mine is activated in the menu and I have a manual controlled ‘16 2LT. When I remote start the car, if it deems it needed based on temperature, etc. it turns on the rear defroster and the front will blow air once the car is up to a temperature that will allow it to blow the proper temperature air. So if I remote start the car and get in it within say 30 seconds, nothing really happens except the rear defroster, but if I leave it run a few minutes, it’ll be blowing air out the defroster until I turn the car on when it reverts to what I have it set to.

So I assume, that’s normal operation because it’s always acted that way for me. If yours doesn’t, I’d ask.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just want it to work if it is supposed to do something. I don't have remote start. The front has never worked for me under any circumstance - letting the car warm up or not. I was just trying to ascertain if I am experiencing an operator error or if I should add it to the list of stuff that doesn't work properly.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,301 Posts
If it is enabled and the car fogs up horribly with no air coming out of the front/windshield vents, I guess that config item isn't working. Perhaps the humidity sensor is glitched - that sensor is behind the rear view mirror and detects windshield temp and humidity. The dealer can check that. Pushing the max defrost/defog button does allow air from the front/upper vents, right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it is enabled and the car fogs up horribly with no air coming out of the front/windshield vents, I guess that config item isn't working. Perhaps the humidity sensor is glitched - that sensor is behind the rear view mirror and detects windshield temp and humidity. The dealer can check that. Pushing the max defrost/defog button does allow air from the front/upper vents, right?
Yep. Works fine if I select it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I just want it to work if it is supposed to do something. I don't have remote start. The front has never worked for me under any circumstance - letting the car warm up or not. I was just trying to ascertain if I am experiencing an operator error or if I should add it to the list of stuff that doesn't work properly.
Well, if you don’t have a remote start I’m not sure what’s supposed to “automatically” do.

Again, I ask, what are you expecting it to do? You said you expect it to do something, what is the something? There’s no time for it to auto-defog unless you remote start it.

That’s the way I see it at least.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, if you don’t have a remote start I’m not sure what’s supposed to “automatically” do.

Again, I ask, what are you expecting it to do? You said you expect it to do something, what is the something? There’s no time for it to auto-defog unless you remote start it.

That’s the way I see it at least.
So, if it's 530 in the morning and I go out and start the car to warm it up because it's cold and dark... then there's time for it to automatically defog. No, its not that hard to change the setting (of course it isn't that hard to turn off a light switch but millions of people have "Alexa" do it for them). But if I paid for it then it should work.

·
Registered
337 Posts
So, if it's 530 in the morning and I go out and start the car to warm it up because it's cold and dark... then there's time for it to automatically defog. No, its not that hard to change the setting (of course it isn't that hard to turn off a light switch but millions of people have "Alexa" do it for them). But if I paid for it then it should work.
Ok, so how does the car know it’s fogged up

I get you’re pissed at the car, I also get you’ve had a bunch of problems. But I don’t see that you’re missing something that is supposed to really do anything since you are not remote starting it.

If you remote start the car, it should run the defrost, turn on the factory heated seats and get the car ready for you. My Silverado has the factory heated seats and the zone climate controls so it does this every time I remote start it. My Malibu doesn’t have either but will run the defroster when I remote start it. I feel both are normal operation.

If you go out and manually start the car it has zero idea what your intention is so it wouldn’t know what to do different.

Make sense?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with 929, if it has remote start it should automatically turn on. In my situation on my 13 I remote start and I usually leave it on defogger for windshield before I Turn her off. I do believe mine automatically turns on defogger. I’ll check and let you know.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,301 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Op I did not remote start my car and turned it on with key, my front defrost did not come on automatically. Also with remote start it did not turn on automatically. I understand what op was saying camp, I was just trying it both ways. I should have explained it better in my previous post.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2018 1.5L LS w/o remote start. I have had mine operate in the temps below 40 degrees. I feel its more temperature depended than humidity. (It’s should have been named auto defrost Vs auto defogger)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I no longer own the vehicle. I was last told that it would only be active during remote start. But then, why did the rear defroster turn on automatically all the time? Who knows. Good luck if you're reading this thread in the future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.