Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a guestion for you all. It is hard for me to tell when the automatic lights have come on. Other vehicles I have owned I could see the dash lights come on and I would know my headlights and tail lights where on then. Because of the deep dash on the malibu the dash lights always appear to be on.
As some of you members from the north know you can be driving in snow with very bad visibility at the ground, but enough light is shinning from above that the headlights will not turn on unless you turn them on manually. I know in cases like this the DRL are on, but the tail lights are not.
I just know someone is going to tell me to get out of the car and look :D
I just turn them on manually in a storm if I'm not sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can tell when the auto lamps turn on since the illumination of the dash lights dim sometimes to the point where its hard to read the gauges at dawn or dusk. If you have the dimmer all the way up you may not notice a big difference in the dash lights. If you spin the dash dimmer and the dash lights dim or brighten then you know the auto lamps are on.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you spin the dash dimmer and the dash lights dim or brighten then you know the auto lamps are on.
Good point. I'll remember that.
Thank You.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is there anyway to turn the DRL off all together all the time permanently? I know you can do it manually, but I don't want them on at all. Can't be stealthy if the lights are announcing you're coming!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Got a guestion for you all. It is hard for me to tell when the automatic lights have come on. Other vehicles I have owned I could see the dash lights come on and I would know my headlights and tail lights where on then. Because of the deep dash on the malibu the dash lights always appear to be on.
As some of you members from the north know you can be driving in snow with very bad visibility at the ground, but enough light is shinning from above that the headlights will not turn on unless you turn them on manually. I know in cases like this the DRL are on, but the tail lights are not.
I just know someone is going to tell me to get out of the car and look :D
I just turn them on manually in a storm if I'm not sure.
If you hit your fog light switch and the little amber indicator light comes on that means your headlights are on.

As for turnin the DRL off all together, use to be if you engaged the E-break one click the DRLs would truned off but the E-break would not be engaged. This use to work on 96 and up Chevy Pick-ups.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Must come from riding a motorcycle for so long.
No way I would turn anything off that makes me more visible.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you hit your fog light switch and the little amber indicator light comes on that means your headlights are on.

As for turnin the DRL off all together, use to be if you engaged the E-break one click the DRLs would truned off but the E-break would not be engaged. This use to work on 96 and up Chevy Pick-ups.
I'll give it a look. That is how I could tell on our old Grand Prix. I keep forgetting about the fog lights since you have to turn them on each time you start the car.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Lee, it's good to see you're back. On a business trip?
Vacation :)
Two weeks on the motorcycles in Texas. Big Bend N.P. and the Texas Hill Country which is west of Austin.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
Vacation :)
Two weeks on the motorcycles in Texas. Big Bend N.P. and the Texas Hill Country which is west of Austin.
Yeah, I remember you mentioning the bike vacation now. Post a few photos, I'm sure we'd like to see them.

Sorry for the thread hijacking, back to the regularly scheduled program. :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Must come from riding a motorcycle for so long.
No way I would turn anything off that makes me more visible.
Lee, I'd leave my lights on if I was on a bike too! But I just want to blend in as much as possible on my long trips.

Hope you got some Salt Lick Bar-b-que while you were in the Texas Hill Country. They are so popular now they opened a branch in Vegas!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lee, I'd leave my lights on if I was on a bike too! But I just want to blend in as much as possible on my long trips.

Hope you got some Salt Lick Bar-b-que while you were in the Texas Hill Country. They are so popular now they opened a branch in Vegas!
We were very close to Salt Lick one day, but passed it up since it had only been a couple hours since breakfast. Texas does have great BBQ.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Post a few photos, I'm sure we'd like to see them.

Sorry for the thread hijacking, back to the regularly scheduled program. :D
I posted pictures in the Off Topic forum.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

That worked, thanks.
I wonder if they could have made that indicator light smaller :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I can tell when the auto lamps turn on since the illumination of the dash lights dim sometimes to the point where its hard to read the gauges at dawn or dusk. If you have the dimmer all the way up you may not notice a big difference in the dash lights. If you spin the dash dimmer and the dash lights dim or brighten then you know the auto lamps are on.
I'm not sure exactly how dimming is supposed to work but sometimes it seems like it has both a daytime and nighttime setting as if the computer is remembering setting for previous state of headlights. Adjusting dimmer only affects current state of headlights, maybe?

It will switch from DRL to headlights if wipers are on for more than a few seconds. To verify, flip to high beams and look at high beam indicator.
That indicator may also come on if you do flash to pass while headlights are on, but I have not tested.

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,326 Posts
I'm not sure exactly how dimming is supposed to work but sometimes it seems like it has both a daytime and nighttime setting as if the computer is remembering setting for previous state of headlights. Adjusting dimmer only affects current state of headlights, maybe?

It will switch from DRL to headlights if wipers are on for more than a few seconds. To verify, flip to high beams and look at high beam indicator.
That indicator may also come on if you do flash to pass while headlights are on, but I have not tested.
Come on man, this thread is from '08. We really need some more mods around here....

·
Registered
192 Posts
I wouldn't turn them off myself, but if you must I believe there is a fuse for that. The fuse number is in the 40's if I recall correctly.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.