Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,195 Posts
You posted this in the correct section since yours is a Gen8. The duplicate new thread you created 20 minutes later in the Gen9 section was removed.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
It would be inside the trunk in the drivers side panel behind a door with a giant picture of a battery if you have one.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,675 Posts
I didn't even know there was a 2014 eco... I thought they canned that after 2013. Shows what I know. That said, if this is one of the ECO eAssist models it might also be in the back of the trunk sort of behind the rear seat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
My '15 2.5 car has a eco badge on the trunk. I'm thinking that can confuse folks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't even know there was a 2014 eco... I thought they canned that after 2013. Shows what I know. That said, if this is one of the ECO eAssist models it might also be in the back of the trunk sort of behind the rear seat.
That is exactly what I have. I have had that exposed completely and the battery is not under where it shows. Is it buried under the fan? Is there a diagram that shows exact location within the unit?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,675 Posts
I think it's under where the arrow points. Does this look like your trunk? No touch

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is exactly what I have. I have had that exposed completely and the battery is not under where it shows. Is it buried under the fan? Is there a diagram that shows exact location within the unit?
In the image supplied by
campb292
the unit on the left side is the Generator Control Module, if you were to take that apart - which can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing due to high voltage - you will see six batteries in series. I know GM has a part number for the batter pack. I have no idea why some have the batter in the left hand compartment of the trunk and some don't. My 2013 Eco does not have the batter on the left side, but has it included in the GCM in the center compartment of the trunk. I also notice mine has the battery flow sensor as a ring around the battery cable and other models have the battery flow sensor as an attachment on the terminal of the battery cable. This sensor is responsible for telling the GCM when to send juice to the primary batter and when to divert to the aux battery.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,675 Posts
The battery on the left/driver side of the trunk is for 2.5 2014-2015 Malibus with start stop. The ECO have the bigger battery and yes it is high voltage and dangerous to mess with.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
The big battery with the cooling fan is not one that the average person should be messing with. It has enough voltage to kill you. Best to let the trained pro deal with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone for your assistance. It is disappointing that it has to be so difficult to repair. I have been in that box and it is definately for a professional.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts