Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Malibu
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

i am installing a backup camera/front and rear dash cam in my 2012 malibu. The 2 power/cigarette lighters are on/powered all the time and therefore the camera will be recording all the time and that will drain the battery. So I am wiring the dash cam directly into the fuse box in the passenger foot well using a mini add-a-circuit holder.

The question: - there is a blank space on the fuse box between the 2A EPS fuse and the 10A wiper sw fuse. This blank space is only powered when the ignition is on (perfect) but what amperage can it take? the dash cam uses 2.5A and i put a 3A fuse in the add-a-circuit holder. I obviously don't want to burn up the wires in the car so is it safe to use this fuse location?

Hopefully someone can answer.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,984 Posts
It can probably handle upwards of 30 amps. The back side of the fuse box is a maze of heavy, solid-core wire supplying their respective terminals, and then an appropriate fuse and wiring are used for the circuit.

YMMV. This is only my opinion. Any damage or injury to anything or anyone is the sole responsibility of the person performing the work.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I would suspect a 3A circuit would be OK on that bus.
I understand the issue, I go through it every time I have to wire in a radar detector.

·
Registered
2012 Malibu
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been a few days and all is working fine. So it's my recommendation to use this blank (assuming yours is blank) fuse to run your backup camera and/or dash cams.

If I have any issues in the future relating to this wiring I will post again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts