Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to install a backup camera in my 08 2LT, as I prefer to back into spots but find the rearward visibility to not be the best for judging how far I am from things. I'm pretty familiar with the process and feel confident, but I don't have the tools to drill a hole through the trunk area to run the wires from the license plate area. There's a post on this forum that says there's a grommet (I can't post links yet) but I can't find it. Any help?
Thanks!!

·
Administrator
17,089 Posts
Open the trunk, pull the carpet from behind the left taillight, remove the 3 wing nuts, pop the taillight out, grommet is just below it.

Show us pics when you do this, and even take some as you do it and share the process.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Open the trunk, pull the carpet from behind the left taillight, remove the 3 wing nuts, pop the taillight out, grommet is just below it.

Show us pics when you do this, and even take some as you do it and share the process.
Thank you!!! I sure will. Camera should be arriving in a week or so.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a wireless backup camera, and would like to know which one is best, and if there is one out there that would go with the dashboard on my 2011 2LT. I saw one with a power plug that goes into the source in the compartment below the radio. I don't want to stick it on the windshield, but would rather find a place on the dash that wouldn't look out of place.

·
Administrator
17,089 Posts
Earlier this year I gave away my old Garmin as it seemed to be getting a bit on the slow side. My friends who got it didn't have one, so they're quite pleased.

My new Garmin is the DriveSmart 55 and I opted to buy the backup camera kit with it. I should have waited because after receiving it, there was a coupon to save money on the camera. Dang!

When it goes into Reverse, the camera gets power, then about 2-3 seconds later the Garmin shows what's behind the car. The lines can be adjusted and takes a little time to get 'em just right, but once I got 'em set, they work nicely to guide me in between cars when backing into a spot at work.

The camera is mounted lower than I'd like due to the license plate being the only available screw without figuring out where to drill one, which I don't want to do. I suppose if I had a spoiler I might be able to finagle a way to install it there, but that's not certain, either.

Sticking it on the rear window is not acceptable to me since it would prevent me from seeing what is immediately behind the car, but I suppose it could be done if absolutely needed. Based on the view from my rear dashcam, which is mounted on the rear deck at the bottom of the window, that spot is no good for backing up. It is sufficient, though, for the purpose of recording the traffic behind me. I couldn't install it on the window because it is tinted and I couldn't find a method to hang it from the top of the window.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the information, but Garmin is a little more than I want. I'm just looking for a backup camera and screen. I'm not a big traveler, so GPS doesn't really suite me. It looks like a really nice set-up for the Daytripper or adventuresome person, but I just want it to back-up. I read some of the earlier backup camera information, about the grommet in the back of the car to run the wire and the fuse block etc. I just wondered what camera and screen would look like they fit in my car, and which one's have the clearer picture. I suppose if you want perfection, go buy a car with it built in. That might be my choice. I hate to part with my 2011 though over that. I guess that's the only thing I don't have. Oh, I don't have a heated steering wheel either. :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts