Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a backup camera from Amazon that has a hidden license plate bracket, works really well.
Mounted the cam, ran the wire up through the gap where the license plate light is, ran the wire through the rubber grommet into the trunk.
Then followed the backup wires from the trunk lid to the fuse box and they have a connector which you can disconnect, so I used the green and black wires, spliced into them and then connected back up. Worked great first time. The head unit is triggered via the GMOS-LAN-03 wiring harness which had a backup wire to connect to the head units rear sense wire.
The camera is only powered when in reverse, i thought about powering it all the time, the problem is the camera has LED lights that come on when it's dark and they are bright, so I couldn't do that as it would be blasting all the time at night.
Pics attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Nice job and good looking rear view. I was gonna do that on my 09 a couple years back prior to her early demise. The '13 back-up camera sucks compared to aftermarket and subsequent red, yellow and green with lines totally rock and am envious.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That looks like a factory installation! I went to Amazon and saw the Pioneer, which looks like yours. Did it come with the backup camera. I would have to find someone to take out the old radio and install the new one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Got a backup camera from Amazon that has a hidden license plate bracket, works really well.
Mounted the cam, ran the wire up through the gap where the license plate light is, ran the wire through the rubber grommet into the trunk.
Then followed the backup wires from the trunk lid to the fuse box and they have a connector which you can disconnect, so I used the green and black wires, spliced into them and then connected back up. Worked great first time. The head unit is triggered via the GMOS-LAN-03 wiring harness which had a backup wire to connect to the head units rear sense wire.
The camera is only powered when in reverse, i thought about powering it all the time, the problem is the camera has LED lights that come on when it's dark and they are bright, so I couldn't do that as it would be blasting all the time at night.
Pics attached.
Wow, that's a neat installation! I'm thinking of the same thing on my 2LT. Did you take out the old radio/cd unit, or have it done? I looked on Amazon and I saw the Pioneer set-up. Does it a USB hookup for a flash drive? I sent your pictures to a local installer and he's going to check it out. I know you did this in 2016 and it's 2019 now, sorry for the delay. I was thinking of trading my 11 in for a 16, but I like my present car. The backup camera would make a great upgrade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts