Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Malibu and it decided to die on me suddenly. I think I narrowed it down to a bad MAF sensor but I'm not certain. I can see the air flow reading with my scanner.

What is the normal reading for the MAF?
Also what should my vacuum reading be at?

I'm like 90% sure it's either the sensor or a leak. It will idle ok but as soon as it hits about 3000 rpm it Flatliners and won't want to move or anything. It bogs down overall at that point.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,039 Posts
If you're driving when it won't go past 3000, then it could be a cat is clogging up.

What engine is this?

Is the CEL on or flashing?

Are there any codes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got p0300 random misfire when it happened.
No CEL currently
It's the 2.2L Ecotec engine

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Normal air flow from MAF should be about 2.4 g/s at engine warm idle 600 rpm. Look at fuel trims while driving under load and approaching 3,000 rpm. If the fuel pump can't keep up the short term trim should shoot way up on the positive side. A clogged cat will reduce vacuum to almost zero when you open up the throttle. This will vary as to how restrictive the cat is.
If you have a good scanner and do your homework, the scannerdanner web site is a good place to post your results. Analyzing data is what they do.
The crank position sensor can do all kinds of things like limit rpm and cause multiple miss fires. Keep an eye on the tach when this happens and if it tends to rapidly drop faster than the engine sounds to be slowing down, it could be the cps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a brand new MAF and it will move now but now I got a P0102. The reading is a static 0.8g/s from my OBDll reader.
Could it be bad wires? Or is the new sensor faulty? Could it still be a clogged exhaust line? The vacuum sits around 18 at idle now but it lowered a lot while going up a hill and driving around the block

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Check the wires and connections from the MAF sensor to the computer. Vacuum reading is okay. Check the air filter is clean. When you say static, do you mean idle? 0.8 g/s at idle is incorrect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The scanner says it is 0.8 no matter what for the MAF reading. Whether I'm accelerating or at idle it says 0.8 g/s for the MAF.
The air filter is very clean.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,039 Posts
The scanner says it is 0.8 no matter what for the MAF reading. Whether I'm accelerating or at idle it says 0.8 g/s for the MAF.
The air filter is very clean.
Dumb question, but is that scanner in Live mode when you get that value?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I also got a MAF code.....buyingng a used one didn't fix the issue. The code went away on its own.....still not sure what the issue was, but I am guessing a bad wire

Now I have a low frequency to throttle body code..... I am sure it's a wire thing aswell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts