Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A WHILE BACK I WAS FACED WITH THE DUAL BATTERY CONTOL MODULE DILEMA. I THOUGHT I FIXED THE PROBLEM BY CNANGING THE AUX. BATTERY. WELL RECENTLY THE SEVICE VEHICLE SOON LIGHT WOULD COME ON AFTER HITTING A BUMPY ROAD OR POTHOLE AND RING A FEW MORE TIMES IF I DID IT AGAIN THEN BEFORE YOU KNOW IT THE LIGHTS OUT AND NO MORE BELLS . ONE OR TWO TIMES THIS HAPPENED AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON . SO I CHECKED DTCAND IT CAME UP WITH SOMETHING WITH A U AND ONE WITH A B. WHAT IT SAID IN REFERENCE TO THOSE LETTERS IS THAT THEY ARE FOLLOED BY A DTC. I DIDNT SEE ONE SO I ERASED THEM . BUT EVERTIME I HIT A POT HOLE OR JARRED THE CAR REAL HARD THE BELLS WOULD GO OFF AND THE SERVICE VEHICLESOON LIGHT WOULD COME ON AND THE SCANNER WOULD SAY THE SAME THING .SO I WOULD CLEAR IT AND OOF WE GO. JUST RECENTLY THE BELLS AND STUFF STOPPED AND THE MESSAGE BATTERY SAVER ACTIVE. I LOOOKED IT UP AND SAID CHECK CHARING SYSTEM . IT IS PUTTING OUT 13.8 VOLTS LIKE IT SHOULD BE. THEN IT SAYS CHECK SENSORS. HERE IS WHERE I HAVE PROBLEMS WHEN I FIRST ENCOUNTERED BATTERY PROBLEMS IT MENTIONED THE BATTERY CURRENT SENSOR BUT I FIXED THAT PROBLEM OR THOUGHT IDID ANYWAY THE SHOW A BATTERY CURRNT SENSOR WITH THE GROUNG CABLE RUNNIG THRU IT TI THE NEGATIVE POS AND THEY SHOW ONE INTERGRATED IN THE CLAMP PART OF THE NEGETIVE POST . ACCORDING TO THE STARTING AND CHARGING WIR DIAGRAM THERE IS A BATTERY CURRENT SENSOR AND A BATTERY SENSOR MODULE. I DONT KNOW WHICH IS WHICH OR WHAT IS WHAT . THIS IS ON A 2016 MALIBU LIMITED LT 2.5 AUTOMATIC TRANS. CAN ANYBODY SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS PLEASE

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Check all your connections for being clean and tight including the Aux battery connections first.
If your car has the KL9 it has both the battery sensor and current sensor. KL9 can be verified by looking at the RPO sticker in the trunk that is attached next to the spare tire.
If sensor on the cable, not the one that the wire passes through, has to be replaced it will need a scan tool calibration.
The battery sensor module is attached directly to the negative battery terminal and is used to determine the battery condition by calculating the battery state of charge, state of function, and state of health. The battery condition is used to help determine if the 12 volt stop/start system will allow a stop/start event to occur when the vehicle has come to a stop.

From the shop manual:
To determine the battery condition, the battery sensor module must be calibrated. In normal operation, all current entering or exiting the battery flows through the battery sensor module and is monitored. Any action which charges or discharges the battery that is not monitored by the battery sensor module will require the calibration procedure be performed. Such instances are:

- The battery was replaced by a battery with the same part number

- The battery was replaced by a battery with a different part number or different specifications

- The battery was recharged while outside the vehicle

- The battery was discharged while outside the vehicle

- The battery was improperly charged:
To properly charge the battery, the negative lead of the charger must be connected to chassis ground, NOT directly to the negative battery post. Connecting to chassis ground allows current to flow through the battery sensor module during charging and be measured. Connecting directly to the negative battery post charges the battery, but the current is not measured by the battery sensor module.

If any of these conditions have occurred, the battery sensor module must be calibrated to maintain proper 12 volt start/stop operation.

Reactions: Ohxpoorxme

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so how do I calibrate the battery sensor module. also would claring all the modules and ecm be of any help with this problem. I have the new battery sensor module just in case. this is what the scanner brought up the last time. but like I said before it only comes up after hitting a big pothole or going on a very hard and bumpy road.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Shop or dealer level scan tool is needed for recalibrations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i DONT KNOW IF THIS IS PART OF THE PROBLEM BUT EVER SINCE THIS ORDEAL BEGAN THE RADIO WOULD CUTOFF THEN BAK ON IN A MATTER OF SECONDS . THE OTHER DAY THE RADIO PLAYED BUT THERE WAS NOTHING ON THE SCREEN FOR A LONG TIME. PARKED THE CAR CAME BAK IN A FEW HOURS AND THE RADIO WAS BACK ON THE SCREEN. . DO NOT KNOW IF IT IS RELATED OR SEPERATE ISSUSE.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts