Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dash readout for the battery voltage is reading around 12.5 consistently. When the car first starts it may be anywhere from 13.8 to 14.4, which was always normal. It then falls to 12.5 volts and will not come back up. All extra wires to the ground terminal are ran through the amp loop with the exception of the ground wires on amps, those are ran to the frame close to the amps. I didn't have this issue before with all amps grounded this way. Even with a heavy load that should call for a higher voltage, it never comes up and the subs end up going into protection mode. Any idea what might be the problem? Possible bad battery, alternator going out, BCM issues, etc.? The battery is around 3 years old and the alternator is around 2.

Just to make sure this is covered, the car is a '13 lt with the 2.5l. No codes are coming up and the dash has no lights on.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,848 Posts
I had an amp (not a sub) working, then after hanging it on its mount that I made, it went into protection mode. It seems that a strand of wire got crossed on one of the rear outputs. After finding and fixing that, it worked.

That may not apply to your situation, but it could lend itself to an idea you hadn't thought of before.

Can you measure the voltage at the subs and watch the vehicle readout plus the sub readout at the same time? It might yield some useful data.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea to look at wiring since I had been moving a bit of stuff around for a long trip. I don't have a meter myself but plan to have someone test the battery and alt just to make sure they're both good. I could see if they have two meters to test your idea.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine does the same exact thing and I had the batt, alt tested and they said that both are good and that the battery just needs a charge on it i also do have an 1800 true power amp that I'm also running with a heavy draw on the battery I've just kept charging the main battery every couple weeks to get it back full I have the battery that came with the car from the factory that's 7 years now that's a very long time for a battery to still be good

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, I have around 2000W of audio running and that's why I got the high output alt. Everything ran great before but I'm using an AGM battery now. First one I've had, so no idea how they act. I just took a cross country trip where I was cruising at around 2500 rpm, that should have been enough to charge the battery I would think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts