Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Malibu LTZ ECO

I was suspecting a problem with the Hybrid Cooling fan/blower in the trunk. I activated the fan with a meter at varying speeds, 20%, 30%, 50%, etc. I could not hear the fan running nor could I feel any vibration by hand. Assuming it could be a real quiet fan, I pulled the fan out of the car. I checked the power side plug for voltage while I was manipulating the fan with the meter. I have voltage across all pins in the plug. However, I notice there is voltage to the plug regardless if the car is running or not, whether the engine is off and key is in on position, and even when the car is shut off and key removed?!?

So I'm looking for some guidance on how to bench test this fan, given that it would appear there is voltage to the fan at all times. I put 12 volts to the negative and positive pins on the fan-side plug (outside pins in second photo) and fan did not spin. However, again, there is voltage going to those pins normally. In the first image below, there is 12v at the black and red pins as well as varying voltage to the from the black + any of the center 3 wires.

Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_20200712_134152.jpg IMG_20200712_140805.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
A lot of control modules complete the circuit on the negative side, that's why your seeing positive power to it.
You really need a schematic to see what wires do what.
It may be powered by the black and red and the smaller wires are for monitoring it's speed and temperature as it may be controlled by a variable speed module.
Manual for your specific car is needed, I can't help there as my car isn't a hybrid, but a good manual will have diagnostics.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I should have known it wasn't going to be simple. I think, given all the factors, at this point I can assume it's DOA.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Looks like it has it's own speed control since it has a command in terminal and a enable input. Tacho out tells ECU what speed it's been commanded and it running at. My 2 cents by that description.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts