Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So, while working on replacing the rotors and brake pads, I decided to see if I can align my exhaust pipe, which is bent near the rear tire.

Well, evidently the previous owner backed up into something and bend the exhaust pipe back, the driver side muffler mount is no longer connected to the muffler (but seems OK). The pipe going to the muffler (not the exhaust pipe) bent the muffler inward. Is it OK to try to bend the muffler back so I can align and secure it?

I'll try to get y'all an image.

Thanks,
Johnathan

·
Administrator
16,680 Posts
Based on your description, so long as you don't create a hole in the pipe or housing, bend away!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@DrivenDaily,

Thanks for that.

BTW, attached are some images. Apologies that they might not be as clear as I'd like them to be.

My plan is to use my ratchet straps to slowly bend the muffler back to its original position... just have to find something to attach them too outside the vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I was unable to bend the pipe back to its original form. I don't have the muscle to do it. So, I thought I'd use my ratchet strapped secured to the house... while that allowed me to bend the pipe and all into a better position, it wouldn't stay by itself. So, to test it out for a while, I secured it with zip ties across several positions. It is working. So, I'm going to get some large metal hose clamps that you use for dryer hoses and secure it that way. Cheaper than buying a new muffler and pipes and even cheaper still versus getting a junkyard one.

I'll let ya know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
JohnathanM
Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Chevy Malibu Forum is the best place for owners of the sedan to connect with the community and discuss MPG, mods, and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing