Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi so my 2015 malibu is in need of brakes and rotors on the front, So as a general rule I tend to have a heavy foot thus tearing my rotors and pad up fairly quick..... Is there a good racing or heavy duty rotor built for the malibu? Thanks!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,006 Posts
Sorry if my observation seems rather odd. Another solution could be to ease up on tailgating and see if you use the brakes less.

True "racing" pads are not what you want. They need to get to a higher temp and stay there. They do not work on the street. You'll kill someone, which could include you as well.

If you want your brakes to last longer without changing how you use them, then you need to find larger rotors along as well as calipers with a larger swept area.

You may also want to see if your rear brakes are contributing to your abusive efforts at arresting your over-speed events. If they're barely worn, which tends to be common anyhow, then they may need some adjustment to spread the wear across 4 brakes instead of just 2.

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Name brand parts, ceramic pads and premium rotors. You get what you pay for when it comes to brake parts. A site like Rock Auto may be helpful as they have quality categories/ usage listings.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well let me clarify I dont do stupid stuff with them ,I just tend to come up to a stop sign quicker than I realize ...
All I really want is to find a heavier set of rotors.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,297 Posts
ACDelco Professional branded brake pads and rotors are usually minor upgrades to the factory equipment. They are good products.

Alternatively, I believe others have proven that the 2011-2015 Buick Regal GS front 4 piston Brembos fit the Gen 8 Malibu. I would highly recommend the ACDelco Professional parts though. Brembos are very expensive to buy and maintain, plus they're prone to squealing and awful dust.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
depending on your wheel size, the brake rotors and pads from the 2.0T Malibu may fit and they should be larger than those on the 1LT and 2LT Malibus...

Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi so my 2015 malibu is in need of brakes and rotors on the front, So as a general rule I tend to have a heavy foot thus tearing my rotors and pad up fairly quick..... Is there a good racing or heavy duty rotor built for the malibu? Thanks!
I have 81,000 miles on my OEM pads and rotors. I see a lot of burned out brakes at my work and like you said, you are riding your brakes hard.

Carquest (at Advance Auto) are very good and I see a lot of dealers and shops buying them.

Best advice is to let up off of the brakes.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Since you are hard on your brakes, maybe a switch to a heavy duty metallic pad might be in order. Wagner makes a set for the car, for like fleet use, police, taxi, etc that last. Them with some new standard non slotted rotors would work nice. GM brand, Wagner, Power Stop, etc with the pads and you should be fine. If you don't mind the dust, the metallic pads are supposedly better in heavy duty environments. The factory ones are ceramic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys! I ended up going with a set of wagner ceramic brakes and just regular rotors. The rotors were warped some when i got the car last spring so we will see how long i can keep these from warping!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks Guys! I ended up going with a set of wagner ceramic brakes and just regular rotors. The rotors were warped some when i got the car last spring so we will see how long i can keep these from warping!

I have Wagner Quick Stop Ceramics on my car. They are very good so far. No dust, no noise. Used them with GM basic rotors on all 4 wheels. VERY thick pads, just barely get the calipers over them. Hope you have good luck with yours......

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
I have Wagner Quick Stop Ceramics on my car. They are very good so far. No dust, no noise. Used them with GM basic rotors on all 4 wheels. VERY thick pads, just barely get the calipers over them. Hope you have good luck with yours......
I also have the Wagner quick stops on my Tahoe and Equinox. I tow with the Tahoe also. So far so good, they do stop better when towing. How long they last time will tell. A little more dusty than stock pads but not too bad. Tahoe has OEM 20's on it.
Equinox is wife's daily driver and she is no slouch behind wheel and so far so good on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts