Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 Malibu and am going through a second set of remotes. The dealer charged about $75 last time but even worse had to wait about 4 hrs. Does anyone know what the least expensive scanner that would program a keyfob? I've seen the Autel MaxiCOM MK808 for about $450 but I hope to find something for about half that price. I already have an Autel that gives me live data and lets me check ABS and SRS along with the standard functions. Its great but doesn't have the services option.

Thank you for your help!

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
When it comes to scan tools there are no cheap full feature ones.
Fob issues are usually just the button pads on them being bad and replacements can be had online for cheap. No need to buy new and have to program to car. I've redone a few of mine.

Reactions: Hemp695

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you repairman54, but we lost one remote and I would like to add one. So far local dealers are quoting me $115 to $130 per keyfob to program. In addition, no local locksmiths have the scanner. With the tool its a 5 minute procedure but at the quoted prices I can pay 50% of the scanner then have it. I've seen many posts the costs should be $20 to $50 to program which seems very reasonable since there is no disassembly or diagnosis.

·
Super Moderator
728 Posts
What is kind of sad is my generation of Impala, originally had it where you could program a new remote within the regular settings themselves but after a certain year, I think it was 2010, they got rid of that feature and decided that it was best handled by someone with a Tech2.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I did clean the touch pad and internal board contacts of the lone remaining keyfob with contact renew and it definitely work better, but I still need to program another. I found a locksmith who would do it for $75, but I may just buy an expensive scanner for future car problems and other remotes that I'm sure will be lost.

·
Super Moderator
728 Posts
Honestly, if you can afford it, I'd even go so far as to recommend a Chinese Tech2 knockoff. I know some people are weary of them but I took the dive and bought one and it has more than paid for itself. It's not 100% perfect but you can do just about anything the average person would ever need to do with plus you'll have some of those dealer exclusive options. They generally run about $300ish give and take but it saved me money in the long run and can make quick work out of something like programming remotes, unlocking radios, even running tests and going beyond your regular P0xxx codes such as tranny codes and airbag codes. Just make sure to check the seller's rating and you should be good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
What make model number is the Tech2 knockoff? I think I saw tech 2 wasn't very user friendly. I was looking at
Autel MaxiCOM MK808 Diagnostic Tool With IMMO/ EPB/ SAS/ BMS/ DPF

It's about $470 but seems to do everything. I have a Autel 619 which is great for codes, live data from sensors , SRS, ABS, it just won't do the programming of keys or fobs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When it comes to scan tools there are no cheap full feature ones.
Fob issues are usually just the button pads on them being bad and replacements can be had online for cheap. No need to buy new and have to program to car. I've redone a few of mine.
Can you link me replacement parts? My unlock button doesn't work but everything else works just fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went to the local locksmith, had two of them programmed for $45 and it took her about 3 minutes. The problem with going to the dealer is that you are going to have customers who, for whatever reason, will have to come first. Contrary to what people may believe the appointment that you make is to drop off your car, not when it will be worked on. The schedule is very hectic, with upsells being made, repairs taking longer because of undiscovered underlying issues, jobs being pushed back because one customer can scream louder than the rest, blah, blah,......

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 09 Malibu and am going through a second set of remotes. The dealer charged about $75 last time but even worse had to wait about 4 hrs. Does anyone know what the least expensive scanner that would program a keyfob? I've seen the Autel MaxiCOM MK808 for about $450 but I hope to find something for about half that price. I already have an Autel that gives me live data and lets me check ABS and SRS along with the standard functions. Its great but doesn't have the services option.

Thank you for your help!
There is actually a sample solution for this problem. You can buy at AutoZone a key fob with a programer with it (it is actually a dorman product). It is in the range of about $80. I just went through the same procedure myself. And it only took about two minutes to program the key fob. And the take away at the end is that the next time you need to program a key fob you have the programmer already. And it will only cost about $40 for the new key fob without the programmer. And I could've programmed more key fob's if I wanted to. Because it asked me if I wanted to program more key fob's when I made mine.You just plug in the programmer into the scanner port. Turn on the key and wait for the beep. And in about a minute or two it will make 2 beats in quick succession. At at that point your key fob is programmed. And if you want to make more you can do it at that time.Very simple procedure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts