Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Historically speaking, what is the best time to buy based on the incentives offered? I currently have a 2004 Mazda 6 and am looking to switch to this new Malibu. I am willing to wait for the best possible deal.

I want an insane deal in this economy on one with the 6 speed (33mpg) or Hybrid. Dealers have to have these sitting around in droves. Are they willing to haggle moreso than normal?

Also is there a comparison post anywhere about the 2008 vs 2009 Malibus? I'd consider getting an 08 with < 15K miles but want to know what I'd be missing from the 08 to 09 version.

Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good post Domino....as I am in the same spot as you...I am looking a buying a 4th car - Malibu - as being my daily commuter car and have been procrastinating for over a month now.

I figured by now the dealerships would be chomping at the bit to sell me a new Malibu but they haven't. I did work out one good deal at the end of Feb - but I couldnt get all my stuff in order to pull the trigger before the 'deal' ended.

Now that the March deals are not any better then Feb (a little worse now)- I dont really know what to expect for the next few months.

Some of the threads that I have read say that dealerships look to push up sales at the end of each quarter - so maybe something will happen the last two weeks of March.

Also - the month before a new version of the vehicle is released... For example - the new version of the Fusion is expected to be delivered to Ford dealers in May - the dealerships would be trying to get the 09's off their lot before then.
I have also heard that Corportate looks at the total number of a certain vehicle you have sold to determin how many they will let you have on the lot for the next year....if it is determined that the vehicle will be a hot seller ?

These are just things that I have read about car sales - as I really have no idea - I am sure there are few guys on this board that either work at dealerships of have a better idea then I do.

But the bottom line is - I think its totally unpredictable right now...

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'd say now is a pretty ideal time to buy. The 2009s are discounted heavily because its approaching the end of the model year, but there is an adequate supply that you are likely to get the color and options you want. If you wait 3 more months, there will probably be very few 2009s left, and the 2010s will be out but will not yet have a big rebate. Good luck!!

Also - watch the advertisements in your paper for good deals!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Gm has shut some plants down to save money. dealers by me are not getting any new malibus recently. in fact many have no lt2 or ltz at all. so the call may be yours. you usually get the best deal the last few days of the month if they are close to making their quota. look at www.fitzmall.com they post the prices they are willing to sell for on the net. it helps you know what you can do.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd say jump on it as soon as possible too. 2009 choices may be getting picked over depending on where you live. I had to do a dealer trade to get the color/trim choices I wanted. The standard deal is invoice pricing plus zero percent financing or cash back. Zero percent for 60 months is likely the best deal if you need to finance anyway and plan to keep the car for 5 years or more. I looked at getting an 08 for less money but dealers stuck with them just don't have the room to dicker much more than an 09.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The end of Feburary worked great for me since the dealer was trying to meet his quota for the month. I can't believe we would see much better deals than what they are doing now.

I picked up a white 2LT and I absolutly love it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.