Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This story may interest some of you. Last fall I took advantage of the complimentary oil change/tire rotation for my 2018 Malibu Premier. The car was about a year old and I know that air and cabin filters needed to be changed so for about $35 I purchased the two filters from auto zone and watched a video on youtube. In about ten minutes I had replaced both filters. Four days later I bring the car into the dealership and wait for the service. I get a phone notification from the service writer who asked to see me. He told me that "on inspection" I needed to replace the air and cabin filters. The cost would be $154 including labor! I asked the service writer if the tech had actually inspected the filters. He became offended and arrogant at such a question. I calmly explained that both filters were new and that I had replaced them a few days before. He excused himself and went into the garage. He returned and apologized. It seems the recommendation was because of mileage and NOT because of any inspection. I showed him the brochure for the "22 point inspection" which included a visual inspection of the filters. He apologized again, handed me my key fob and turned his back to me and walked away.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,949 Posts
That's not just at dealerships, it has the potential to be at any service facility that makes money by upselling.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,518 Posts
It's so rare for them to service a owner that even considers changing filters themselves so dealers just take the risk. The airbox is 7 or 8 screws - tedious time - and glove boxes are often full of junk that pours out so they just take the 95% odds and go mileage with assumption and use apology with oops for the other 5%. In the middle there are a lot of $20 filters and $120 labor charges so they can exist.

Reactions: repairman54

·
Registered
2013 ECO
2 Posts
They tried the same thing on me and also included transmission flush and change... I told them I'll wait until the factory recommends it than I might give it further consideration and took my keys and left while I made sure I still had my wallet in my pocket. Two days later I got a call from the service adviser telling me the transmission fee dropped $40; my reply was I'm still waiting to hear from the factory which I probably won't. Of course I changed both of my filters myself. They can't inspect the filters because of the labor involved to look at them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This story may interest some of you. Last fall I took advantage of the complimentary oil change/tire rotation for my 2018 Malibu Premier. The car was about a year old and I know that air and cabin filters needed to be changed so for about $35 I purchased the two filters from auto zone and watched a video on youtube. In about ten minutes I had replaced both filters. Four days later I bring the car into the dealership and wait for the service. I get a phone notification from the service writer who asked to see me. He told me that "on inspection" I needed to replace the air and cabin filters. The cost would be $154 including labor! I asked the service writer if the tech had actually inspected the filters. He became offended and arrogant at such a question. I calmly explained that both filters were new and that I had replaced them a few days before. He excused himself and went into the garage. He returned and apologized. It seems the recommendation was because of mileage and NOT because of any inspection. I showed him the brochure for the "22 point inspection" which included a visual inspection of the filters. He apologized again, handed me my key fob and turned his back to me and walked away.
I do not trust Car Dealerships new or used PERIOD!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts