Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This story may interest some of you. Last fall I took advantage of the complimentary oil change/tire rotation for my 2018 Malibu Premier. The car was about a year old and I know that air and cabin filters needed to be changed so for about $35 I purchased the two filters from auto zone and watched a video on youtube. In about ten minutes I had replaced both filters. Four days later I bring the car into the dealership and wait for the service. I get a phone notification from the service writer who asked to see me. He told me that "on inspection" I needed to replace the air and cabin filters. The cost would be $154 including labor! I asked the service writer if the tech had actually inspected the filters. He became offended and arrogant at such a question. I calmly explained that both filters were new and that I had replaced them a few days before. He excused himself and went into the garage. He returned and apologized. It seems the recommendation was because of mileage and NOT because of any inspection. I showed him the brochure for the "22 point inspection" which included a visual inspection of the filters. He apologized again, handed me my key fob and turned his back to me and walked away.
 

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
Joined
·
17,949 Posts
That's not just at dealerships, it has the potential to be at any service facility that makes money by upselling.
 

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
Joined
·
2,518 Posts
It's so rare for them to service a owner that even considers changing filters themselves so dealers just take the risk. The airbox is 7 or 8 screws - tedious time - and glove boxes are often full of junk that pours out so they just take the 95% odds and go mileage with assumption and use apology with oops for the other 5%. In the middle there are a lot of $20 filters and $120 labor charges so they can exist.
 
  • Like
Reactions: repairman54

·
Registered
2013 ECO
Joined
·
2 Posts
They tried the same thing on me and also included transmission flush and change... I told them I'll wait until the factory recommends it than I might give it further consideration and took my keys and left while I made sure I still had my wallet in my pocket. Two days later I got a call from the service adviser telling me the transmission fee dropped $40; my reply was I'm still waiting to hear from the factory which I probably won't. Of course I changed both of my filters myself. They can't inspect the filters because of the labor involved to look at them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
This story may interest some of you. Last fall I took advantage of the complimentary oil change/tire rotation for my 2018 Malibu Premier. The car was about a year old and I know that air and cabin filters needed to be changed so for about $35 I purchased the two filters from auto zone and watched a video on youtube. In about ten minutes I had replaced both filters. Four days later I bring the car into the dealership and wait for the service. I get a phone notification from the service writer who asked to see me. He told me that "on inspection" I needed to replace the air and cabin filters. The cost would be $154 including labor! I asked the service writer if the tech had actually inspected the filters. He became offended and arrogant at such a question. I calmly explained that both filters were new and that I had replaced them a few days before. He excused himself and went into the garage. He returned and apologized. It seems the recommendation was because of mileage and NOT because of any inspection. I showed him the brochure for the "22 point inspection" which included a visual inspection of the filters. He apologized again, handed me my key fob and turned his back to me and walked away.
I do not trust Car Dealerships new or used PERIOD!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top