Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HTC cell phone uses Blue Tooth to connect to an ear piece for hands free operation. I've never done this because I never bought an ear piece. I see my 09 has some sort of Blue Tooth capability. Does this mean I can mate my phone with the car and make hands free calls using my cell phone and the cars mic and auto speakers? If so has anyone tried it? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Precisely. Ever heard of Bluetooth integrated in a car? Yep, you have that.

In the same way as an earpiece, think of your car's audio system as that. Sync your phone and then make or receive calls on your phone through the audio system much like the way the Onstar phone operates--but without that extra bill.

Look in your owner's manual, and you should be able to set it up pretty quickly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. I went out and tried to pair my phone to the car and I hit a snag. According to the manual, I press the phone button on the steering wheel for 2 seconds, the system responses by saying ready. The next step is for me to say "bluetooth" which starts the pairing process. Unfortunately my car does not reconize the command "bluetooth". I tried it several times but no luck. I phoned OnStar and asked about this. Got transfered twice and was finally told I would have to speak to Chevrolet Technical assistance, but they are not open on Sundays, call back tomorrow. Perhaps my car needs a software update for the new commands that bluetooth brings?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does all 09's come with Bluetooth? My 1LT will not respond to Bluetooth command. I may check with OnStar as well.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Does all 09's come with Bluetooth? My 1LT will not respond to Bluetooth command. I may check with OnStar as well.

Thanks
No. 1LT's do not have it standard, but as an option I believe...available later on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just checked Chevy website and Bluetooth is not available on the 1LT, so I guess I'm out of luck.

Thanks anyway guys!

Thanks beach! We posted at the same time!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
i wonder if it's possible to add BT capability to the 08's...?
No. Completely different Onstar system that would have to be totally replaced--if you even could--as well as new control buttons and such on the steering wheel. It's a common question, but nothing from GM exists at the moment to make such an addition.

·
Registered
749 Posts
From what I heard from multiple sources and my dealership, they can install an upgraded OnStar module which will give you bluetooth capability.. I haven't done it yet because I never use the phone... I usually just ignore it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
On Star and Bluetooth have nothing to do with each other. Even the new Ford Fusion and others have Bluetooth capability. Many cars are adding this function. Dont get On Star mixed up with as it is a totally different system

Yes you can make cell calls with on star, but nothing to do with bluetooth. Bluetooth is a common method used in ll kinds of electronic devices to communicate with each other. There are Bluetooth printers that you can get that work without wires to your computer.

Bluetooth has a maximum range of about 30 FEET. So its only good for short range devices to talk to each other.

And yes it was a standard designed from the git-go like that.

·
Registered
701 Posts
mrbill - Just a small correction to make. You are correct that OnStar and Bluetooth have nothing to do with one another.

however in research and speaking with dealers, the "technology" of bluetooth is actually incapsulated in the OnStar hardware. I believe that this is done to avoid having two seperate modules installed in the car. It is done more from a manufacturing convience stand point. They are able to "group" them together, since OnStar and Bluetooth require similar button functonaility in your vehicle, they are "killing two birds with one stone"

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Correct. In this case, Bluetooth and Onstar have a LOT to do with one another, as the BT is a system encapsulated (perfect word DOACanada!) within the Onstar system.

Basically, think of the new/current Onstar 8.0 as a computer module wherein Bluetooth is one of its features. Hence, why you can't just "add" the new Bluetooth without a whole new Onstar system, etc., if at all.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Right. And they take advantage of the hands free hardware (and activation button) that's already there for the existing OnStar setup by incorporating the bluetooth capability into the OnStar module(s).

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Right. And they take advantage of the hands free hardware (and activation button) that's already there for the existing OnStar setup by incorporating the bluetooth capability into the OnStar module(s).
Yep, exactly;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.