Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after I discovered my 09 is Bluetooth capable I tried to pair my phone with my car. I'm following the steps in my owners manual however the second step is to say "bluetooth" after the system says "ready". When I say "bluetooth" the system responds with "pardon??". Without having the system recognize the bluetooth command, I can't start the phone pairing process. I just spent an hour with the OnStar Technical Service people and they tried to tell me that my phone has to make a connection to the car before the car will recongnize the bluetooth command and respond to it. I'm not sure if they are correct. I think the car should at least recongize the bluetooth command as that is the beginning of the pairing process. I don't believe that the system should have to detect the presence of a compatible phone before it responds to the "bluetooth" command. Could anyone confirm if their car recongizes the bluetooth command without a phone being around? BTW I have turned my phones BT discovery on and it does not see the car. Thanks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
They are wrong.. you have to pair your device first before you can use the phone.. Give me a few moments, Im uploading a vid to youtube showing the entire pairing process with my cell phone

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2-pJGHUURg

hope this helps.. It missed my first command because I was talking when it started listening.
Awesome! One more reason not to read the manual when I get my '09 shortly, thanks to you!

Jcol - That really is weird your car is not recognizing the function. I played with it in an '09 LTZ last week and it understood "bluetooth" but then I had no idea what else had to be done, and didn't succeed.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Okay, seriously...is it odd I'm more excited now about having Bluetooth than anything else with my soon to arrive '09?! Thanks malibudragon...greatly:cool:
I didnt even know bluetooth was in mine because we had test drove 08's before getting the 09's and I have to say I love it.. I use it all the the time and everyone says I sound clear and they can understand me.. One thing i noticed to if you have the Air on Automatic and its running fast it will slow down when a call comes in to reduce cabin noise when your on the phone :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
:)Thank you! That was amazing you did a really good job, I cant wait to set it up when my '09 arrives.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Malibudragon, thanks very much for the video. It will be very helpful when I go and talk to the dealer about this on Wednesday. It clearly shows that the car has to respond to the Bluetooth command before it sends out its bluetooth signal. I have a feeling this is going to be difficult for the dealer to sort out but armed with this video I think I have a chance.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Malibudragon - Great video.

I am also a Bluetooth nut! Hell is was the main reason I went with ordering an 09' versus buying an 08'.

Dealer had the exact car I wanted on the lot, however he couldn't confirm for me if the bluetooth module rumor was true or not at the time, and he had no idea if and when it would come. Thus I waited.

I have had a lot of positive feedback from my bluetooth also, only thing I have to be careful of is I drive with my windows down and sunroof open alot! when a call comes in I have to get it all sealed up in order for it not be blasting wind noise into the callers ear. LOL

I was very happy to see GM breakdown and add bluetooth. Don't get me wrong OnStar can be a great feature, by would I want two seperate cell phone numbers. My car and my phone....thankfully, I won't be using OnStar's number anymore but love the bluetooth!

Way to go GM!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wonder if my 1LT will eventually be able to have Bluetooth added. Could it be like a software update? I'm not sure how that would work.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Having the phone built into the car is a nice thought if it was reasonably priced.. But the pre-paid phone they set you up with is way to high. I will just use my bluetooth phone, Im sure its nice in case you forget your phone one day and need to make a call but they want way to much for the minutes >.<

·
Registered
749 Posts
You need to speak French for everything to work properly in regards to Bluetooth. :p

·
Registered
246 Posts
Having the phone built into the car is a nice thought if it was reasonably priced.. But the pre-paid phone they set you up with is way to high. I will just use my bluetooth phone, Im sure its nice in case you forget your phone one day and need to make a call but they want way to much for the minutes >.<
If you have Verizon Wireless,you can link your pre-paid phone that's in your car to your cell phone. You have to call Onstar in order for this to happen. You will only be paying one bill,and that's your cell phone bill. The number would change but you won't be paying two bills. It's basically almost set up like Bluetooth. It probably works with other phone companies too. It costs $9.99 extra to add your car phone. It's set up like a family share plan. I had mine set up like this and i love it .

·
Registered
569 Posts
I use the bluetooth mainly so I dont need the one thats built in but even for pre-paid though its expensive..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm taking my car to the dealer today for another small problem. I plan to ask if he has an other 09 on the lot that I can try the "bluetooth" command with. As it is my car still does not recongize the bluetooth command so I can't pair my phone. I had a problem earlier on with my theft derrent system and they replaced a module. I'm wondering if during that repair something got changed that disabled my bluetooth. Hopefully my second car test will convience my dealer that my car has a problem.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm taking my car to the dealer today for another small problem. I plan to ask if he has an other 09 on the lot that I can try the "bluetooth" command with. As it is my car still does not recongize the bluetooth command so I can't pair my phone. I had a problem earlier on with my theft derrent system and they replaced a module. I'm wondering if during that repair something got changed that disabled my bluetooth. Hopefully my second car test will convience my dealer that my car has a problem.

I would imagine since alot of that stuff is tied into the radio and what not.. maybe they ordered you an 08 module and the bluetooth part was built into that piece? Let us know what happens!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I must report, with some egg on my face that in Canada 09 Malibu's do not come with Bluetooth standard with the 2LT or LTZ packages. So since I bought this car from the dealer inventory I must assume that it doesn't have this as an option. I discovered this when I took the car back to the dealer for another minor problem and found that the 09 brochures were finally in. As I looked through the brochure I found that both TPM and Bluetooth are options in Canada, but standard features in the US as per the US website. I also checked on my window sticker and there is no mention of BT either as a standard feature or an option on my car. I'd be interested in hearing from any other Canadian Malibu owners who have BT if they ordered it as an option, or did they get lucky and it was included in their car. If you ordered do you recall how much it was? Perhaps it can be activited by the dealer, but I doubt it. Still love the car,, just a little disappointed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have ordered a 2009 LTZ and Bluetooth was an option that I added, it was $150.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Well I must report, with some egg on my face that in Canada 09 Malibu's do not come with Bluetooth standard with the 2LT or LTZ packages. So since I bought this car from the dealer inventory I must assume that it doesn't have this as an option. I discovered this when I took the car back to the dealer for another minor problem and found that the 09 brochures were finally in. As I looked through the brochure I found that both TPM and Bluetooth are options in Canada, but standard features in the US as per the US website. I also checked on my window sticker and there is no mention of BT either as a standard feature or an option on my car. I'd be interested in hearing from any other Canadian Malibu owners who have BT if they ordered it as an option, or did they get lucky and it was included in their car. If you ordered do you recall how much it was? Perhaps it can be activited by the dealer, but I doubt it. Still love the car,, just a little disappointed.

Aww man sorry to hear :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.