Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, does anyone know if a Bluetooth modification kit is going to be available from GM for the 08's? I thought I read somewhere that they were going to offer a kit and if so does anyone know when and where they will be available?

·
Registered
701 Posts
pwinskey - Not sure, and when I talked to my dealer he wasn't sure that was going to happen.

For me this was the main reason I ordered an 09' and didn't buy the 08 he had sitting on the lot.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well isn't a huge deal for me, because I never had it and am not on the phone all the time but thought it might be nice to have. Maybe something will come up to help the people who have the 08's.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I know there was talk of an "add" that could be installed by the dealer....I really hope they do because like you said it certainly would be a nice to have. Just and FYI the option is $150 CDN for the 09's - Hope that helps with an idea of costing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a fair price. Hopefully that will put something out for us 2008 people. Thanks for the info DOACanada!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have an earpiece also....however I had a ride in an Acura TL with bluetooth in the car and it was amazing how seemless it is integrated.

Once I get mine I will let you all know how it works.

CHeers.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes my mother has an Acura with bluetooth and loves it. I think she calls me all the time now just to use it lol!! For whatever reason I don't have an earpiece but I will probably have to pick one up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I found my h500 at Sams Club on clearance for $25.. couldn't pass that up.. got one for me and my wife... Overall I've been pleased with it, but the other day it was giving me a lot of static.. and the phone was only about 4 feet away. It should have about a 20 to 30 ft range.

·
Registered
240 Posts
We have the Malibu setup through Verizon/Onstar as a third line and it only cost us $10 a month and all the 'in' calling is free and works great. It's voice ativated and everything.

C

·
0 Posts
I know there was talk of an "add" that could be installed by the dealer....I really hope they do because like you said it certainly would be a nice to have. Just and FYI the option is $150 CDN for the 09's - Hope that helps with an idea of costing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would be happy to pay $150 just not sure they will offer it to those who have an "08"

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just picked up my Bu' on the weekend....I LOVE IT....and I LOVE BLUETOOTH.

Absolutely seemless....Very easy to use and set up. It uses the steering wheel control buttons to activate the system, than it is voice recognition to make calls. Down side to Bluetooth in all vehicles is you have to sit in it and program it with your "favourite" numbers or you have to say each number individually than it will call. All in all though for the 15 minutes it takes to program your "favourite" numbers....it is not that big of a deal.

People I have talked to have said the sound quality on their end is far better than a speaker phone, but not quite as clear as if you had the handset right next to your mouth.

All in all I am super happy with having waited....I can see this being a great benefit for me as I drive alot.

Any questions let me know I will do my best to answer them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'll have to look around some. I don't remember if it was here or on another forum, but someone posted a link to a bluetooth setup that replaced the cigarette lighter. I thought it looked cool, but since I don't have a bt phone yet (or really plan to get one soon) that was as far as I checked into it. If I find the post I'll try to link it here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The kit from Coastal Tech still requires a bluetooth kit such as the parrot or Cig-Blue

I have an add on kit (Cig-Blue) on both of our '08 Enclaves, it works through the speakers and has a small microphone that is easily mounted. HOWEVER, they do not work nearly as well as the built in bluetooth kit in my Malibu.

·
Registered
749 Posts
From what I've heard the dealerships can install an upgrade module to your OnStar (to 8.0) that will give you Bluetooth capability like the '09s. Not sure of the price though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
From what I've heard the dealerships can install an upgrade module to your OnStar (to 8.0) that will give you Bluetooth capability like the '09s. Not sure of the price though.
If that is the case, I just might have to invest in a new onstar module for both of our cars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Having read this forum while researching a car, I specifically asked the salesperson if there would be a way to add the '09 bluetooth functionality to the '08 I was interested in. He said he didn't know at first, so we checked with the head service tech at the dealership, and he didn't know either. I decided I would go ahead and purchase the 08 even if BT wasn't an option, so when I came in the next day to complete the purchase, the salesperson said he asked a GM factory tech trainer that happened to be there that morning. The GM traner guy apparently said he's done it before so it *should* be possible. I just got the car last week and with the Thanksgiving holiday I'm sure the salesguy wasn't around, but he's supposed to be getting back to me this week with an update of what we'll need to do. Hopefully the salesperson wasn't just blowing smoke up my bum to get me to make the purchase. I'll keep ya'll posted when I hear anything.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.