Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached is a pic of the point where the hood and front panel line come together. I think Chevy made a mistake having three separate body panels meet at one point. Any imperfection is very apparent. If you follow the hood line, you see it gets much thinner where the two panels meet. This is bothering me.

Question 1: How does this compare to your 2008 or 2009 Malibu? Is that front body panel off a little bit for everyone? On my passenger side it is perfect, but on my driver's side, as you can see, its not aligned well.

Question 2: If this was your 'Bu, would you try to have Chevy fix it? Or is it one of those things you just have to live with and not much can be done?

I already took it in for repair, and the dealer had a body shop do something. It's slightly better than before, but not much better. I don't know if there is anything that can be done.

Still a great car - but I do think that was a poor design. Other cars only have two panels join up at any point, so that imperfections are not as noticable.

Thanks all

Attachments

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Mine is slightly imperfect at that spot too. Maybe a bit better than yours but still.
If I were you I'd leave it. After about a 6 months I am aware of many imperfections on my car, so in my case it wouldn't make sense to fix one while there's a whole bunch of others still remaining.
These are:
- slightly unevenly hung mufflers
- small misalignment of some dash panels (not too visible but it's there)
- exterior door trim is not perfectly aligned - result of door lock adjustments (at least the doors open smoothly now)
- front fender panel that you are talking about is higher than the hood at the center.
- not all rubber seals are seated that well....again a very minor thing.
- some interior problems, but those are either very small or I managed to fix them.

...so, for me that gap wouldn't make much difference, just one more of those things. With my car I blame it on 08 being the first year of the model :)

Btw, I had body imperfections on an Accord of the LAST year of a generation...it even had uneven mufflers :) and other things (somewhat) similar to my Bu.

So, the bottom line - I would just leave it alone. If that's the only imperfection on your car you're actually lucky :)
Besides I suspect there's not much they can do (without a major surgery, that, btw, aside from not being worth it, surely carries a risk of new issues)...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Agree with Yury,nobody will notice it and if you take it in you'll just open a can of worms,it will never be perfect.;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Was looking at mine last night (it is an 09) and I can see some slight misalignment also, but it does not show up as much as the car is black.

So I guess this is just a "feature":)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I guess I'll not sweat it. I think part of the problem is my car is white and the "lines" are black so the imperfection is much more visible.

I did a little tour of a parking lot. Many cars do have a panel that is slightly off. So I'll try to not let it bother me. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Thanks all. I guess I'll not sweat it. I think part of the problem is my car is white and the "lines" are black so the imperfection is much more visible.

I did a little tour of a parking lot. Many cars do have a panel that is slightly off. So I'll try to not let it bother me. Thanks again.
It's actually interesting how you start seeing defects in other cars once you noticed something on yours. I see door misalignment on many cars (Honda and Toyota included) and uneven mufflers on some cars too.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Mine is not like that on all for corners where the Fender Meets the bumper and even paint has rubbed off a little bit..

On top of that my front bumper right on top of the top grille is sunk in some.. Like someone pushed in or sat on it and it smushed the front..

These are small things and no one would notice them unless I told them

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is not like that on all for corners where the Fender Meets the bumper and even paint has rubbed off a little bit..

On top of that my front bumper right on top of the top grille is sunk in some.. Like someone pushed in or sat on it and it smushed the front..

These are small things and no one would notice them unless I told them
Can you post a picture, Dragon? I'm not following exactly...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Can you post a picture, Dragon? I'm not following exactly...
I tend to type words I dont mean.. lol. I said not but I mean there is fitment issues all over my car but its nothing major.. Its been raining the past few days when it clears up I will try and get some pics.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ours is an 09 and the EXACT same panel is the EXACT same way. The paint is flexed in that area but hasnt come off yet but I dont doubt it will sometime down the road.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Here is what my 08 looks like.

I don't see anything that looks any worse than any other car I have seen. There are some very high dollar cars from other countries that are not aligned as well as this is.

Bill

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Original poster here. I went to a Chevy dealer last weekend and looked at about 8 Malibus. I was looking for the mis-aligned front body panel as discussed and pictured earlier in this thread. One or two of the Malibus were perfect. Four or five were misaligned maybe a little less than mine, but still definitely off. And one was really badly misaligned – even worse than mine. So I feel better knowing that my car is not significantly worse than average.
As I look at other cars, I’m more aware now of misaligned panels. Most vehicles do have at least marginally inconsistent gaps here and there. I suppose that is why there are gaps in the first place – to allow for tolerances. Overally, the Malibu actually has very tight fitting panels, which is generally considered a positive thing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is there any way to know which day of the week your car is built? Monday's are bad (hangovers, just aren't quite into being at work yet) and Friday's (just want to start the weekend already!) are not the best day either. We love our car, had it just over a week, but just wondering...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Is there any way to know which day of the week your car is built? Monday's are bad (hangovers, just aren't quite into being at work yet) and Friday's (just want to start the weekend already!) are not the best day either. We love our car, had it just over a week, but just wondering...
Well there's no exact way to tell, but like you said the day of the week also effects the workers attitude, as well as if it's almost time for lunch, or if it's just one of those days when nothing is going right and the line keeps going up and down. Really anymore bcause of the GMS manufacturing system and computers monitoring some of the processes and the fact that if you're job isn't right, the next person down the line will say something and you end up in trouble. BUT if you look in the car for wiring harnesses. There's a tag on there with the factory code the harness came from as well as a date. When I was building the cobalts I noticed that the date on the harnesses was about 2 days prior the day I was building the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.