Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought a used 2016 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid with 110k miles on it about a month ago for 15k.

It has now just about completely broken down. It's no longer drivable. First the headlight went out. Then the tail light. Then the electric parking break broke. And now the engine will not run without twitching, shaking, rattling, sputtering and spewing a large amount of smoke out of the exhaust.

Do I have any options here? Or am I stuck with a 15k car loan and no car?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,665 Posts
Was this car sold as-is with no warranty or was it a 90 day? I don't think they do certified preowned at that mileage. If you have any warranty take it to GM so they can fix it. If no warranty, you can try getting a diagnosis from your dealer/place of purchase and work with them to fix it since it was just purchased. If nothing, try and independent shop. Then you can weigh the cost of the repair vs the outstanding loan vs risks of repairing then more going wrong. The head gasket has been suspect on the 1.8 but this could be so many problems on a used car. Based on your previous post the car also was bought with electrical mods judging by the screens in the headrests. That is always a bad sign on a car that revolves around electric power. This could be an ugly financial situation but take it one step at a time.

Reactions: BLacy and jes2

·
Registered
83 Posts
I should've bought a 14 year old beamer for 5k. I think it would have been more reliable.
The dealer should fix this free of charge at only 30 days old or at least at a heavy discount. Tell them to make it right-it’s border line immoral if they don’t. At the very least they should buy it back at a small loss to you. Just my two cents-I wish it was more

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There just seems to be so many things that are going wrong with it. And the engine light isn't even on. I can't imagine how it will be repaired.

Within the last week, the headlight went out, the tail light went out, the electric break broke, the transmission started acting funny, the engine is shaking, rattling and sputtering out, and it appears to be burning oil now.

And I haven't even gotten it registered yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, on the bright side. I called the dealer, and he said he'll try and take care of it. I'm thinking this thing is a lemon, though. The engine light isn't even on. This thing is probably just dead.

·
Super Moderator
3,665 Posts
Well, on the bright side. I called the dealer, and he said he'll try and take care of it. I'm thinking this thing is a lemon, though. The engine light isn't even on. This thing is probably just dead.
That's good news they are at least willing to look and see what they can do to take care of it. It may have a lot of problems with one to possibly many causes but I doubt it is a lemon. If its a lemon it is the best lemon of all time having made it to 110,000 miles.

Reactions: jes2 and JJA

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
I should've bought a 14 year old beamer for 5k. I think it would have been more reliable.
If you think your car has issues you have no idea of the cost and problems with a BMW and it's dealer dependent electronics.
Those are cars you get rid of when the warranty is about to expire.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If you think your car has issues you have no idea of the cost and problems with a BMW and it's dealer dependent electronics.
Those are cars you get rid of when the warranty is about to expire.
BMW isn't called "Break My Wallet" for nothing. 😁

My father learned the hard way with a mid 80s 325e he bought new. I've never seen so many cascade failures at 80,000 miles: blown head gasket, both CV joints in the rear axle failed, audio system failure, crack in the dash (those items all failed within a 60 day window after hitting 80k miles).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The dealership says it has bad fuel injectors, which I guess isn't a big deal.

I'm just worried something else might come up two weeks after this lol.

I had every single symptom of a bad fuel injector: lack of power, engine shaking, white smoke coming out of the tail pipe, ticking sound, bad oxygen sensor and catalytic converter, and reduced gas mileage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You obviosly have never owned a BMW. The parts are prohibitively expensive, and most often have tomcome from Germany. You have a car that can be repaired anywhere in the world at less expense than most others. Settle down, think think this through calmly, and ou will solve your problems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My friend has a 2007 335i that has 140k miles on it, and it's still going. As far as I know, he hasn't had to do anything other than replace the spark plugs. I think it would have lasted longer than two weeks LOL.

·
Super Moderator
3,665 Posts
You obviosly have ever owned a BMW. The parts are prohibitively expensive, and most often have tomcome from Germany. You have a car that can be repaired anywhere in the world at less expense than most others. Settle down, think think this through calmly, and ou will solve your problems.
I'm not sure why you would post that as your first post. The OP has reason to be concerned or mad his used purchase didn't perform as hoped. Sympathy, advice, and kindness are better strategies.

My friend has a 2007 335i that has 140k miles on it, and it's still going. As far as I know, he hasn't had to do anything other than replace the spark plugs. I think it would have lasted longer than two weeks LOL.
On the flip side, your Malibu lasted almost 6 years and over 110,000 miles. It was a fine car. It just didn't do well as a used purchase. The previous owner no doubt dumped it for a reason and dealer sold as is for a reason. As for BMW, I know someone with high mileage on a 5 series and car has been great. I also know two owners that have leased the smaller and mid SUV and it is essentially a disposable vehicle with more warranty problems than my Malibu - and that's saying something.

How's the Malibu Hybrid doing following the injector replacement?

·
Super Moderator
3,665 Posts
Still at the dealership!
I wonder what they decided to replace beyond fuel injectors? Fuel injectors for the 1.8 have been in stock since the last time this discussion was bumped. I hate to be a downer but I am skeptical when a dealer tech isolates a problem to all the fuel injectors. I'm hopeful but not optimistic on that being the cause of the problems.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts