Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone purchase a Bra for their 2009 LTZ? Does it allow the front license plate to be seen? Are there openings built in for the fog lights of the LTZ?

Any photos?

Any help or advice welcome!

Sciaccatani

·
Registered
781 Posts
I did not realize they still made bras for cars. I think it would be better to have someone apply some clear 3M film to the nose and hood.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did not realize they still made bras for cars. I think it would be better to have someone apply some clear 3M film to the nose and hood.
I know of at least two companies that supposedly make a BRA for the 2008/2009 Malibu but neither appears to be customized for the LTZ and no mention is made of a front license plate provision... The two makers I could find are: LeBra (still around since at least the mid '80s) and Colgan... big difference in price (more than double).

Anybody have either one? Also, I saw covers made by Colgan for the side mirrors... on a long freeway trip in "bug country" these could be helpful....

So, anybody have any info on either of these makers but no real reviews for the Malibu or photos?

Here is the link from the autoeverything webpage that lists both makers:
http://www.autoanything.com/car-bras/20A10001A1.aspx

·
Registered
700 Posts
I know of at least two companies that supposedly make a BRA for the 2008/2009 Malibu but neither appears to be customized for the LTZ and no mention is made of a front license plate provision... The two makers I could find are: LeBra (still around since at least the mid '80s) and Colgan... big difference in price (more than double).

Anybody have either one? Also, I saw covers made by Colgan for the side mirrors... on a long freeway trip in "bug country" these could be helpful....

So, anybody have any info on either of these makers but no real reviews for the Malibu or photos?

Here is the link from the autoeverything webpage that lists both makers:
http://www.autoanything.com/car-bras/20A10001A1.aspx
Have you investigated the 3M Film applied to the front of the car? I like you was looking for protection for the front of the car; however I had a bra on a previous car and it really destroyed the front of the car much quicker; i.e. rust, scratches in the paint, etc...

I went to a local detailing shop that installs the 3M film and asked them if they do custom work. Well long story shot the do and approximately $500 CDN later the front end of my baby is completly protected. It looks amazing and is barely noticable when she is clean.

I personally would highly recommend the 3M film versus a car bra since the film can be removed; and once removed show no signs of damage to the paint.

I will post some pictures of mine later this weekend so you have a look.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you investigated the 3M Film applied to the front of the car? I like you was looking for protection for the front of the car; however I had a bra on a previous car and it really destroyed the front of the car much quicker; i.e. rust, scratches in the paint, etc...

I went to a local detailing shop that installs the 3M film and asked them if they do custom work. Well long story shot the do and approximately $500 CDN later the front end of my baby is completly protected. It looks amazing and is barely noticable when she is clean.

I personally would highly recommend the 3M film versus a car bra since the film can be removed; and once removed show no signs of damage to the paint.

I will post some pictures of mine later this weekend so you have a look.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! I'll wait to see your photos... but I plan on only having the BRA installed when I take long freeway trips outside of my immediate area. I plan on removing it for normal around town driving... It would probably be on the car for less than a month, total, each year. The last one I had was easy to install and remove (max. 15 minutes the first time) and it left no marks or damage at all on the car for over 15 years... hooks were under wheel wells, under front bumper etc. But that was for an older car... I also plan on getting coordinated covers for the mirrors.... Thanks again...

·
Registered
11 Posts
My mistake was to not get the 3M clear film. Boy do I feel stupid after seeing the amount of stone chips on the front. It hurts more when the car is new compared to driving around a used automobile.

·
Registered
186 Posts
In my experience, Chevy uses a nice think coat of paint. Very few rock chips that way. Check out a Mazda sometime. Great cars, but the paint is about the thickness of a sheet of paper and chips *very* easily.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Took the pictures this weekend; but I was dumb and don't have them on this computer...I will get them tonight and post them tomorrow....Sorry everyone.

Cheers!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Getting my clear bra put on today at the dealer :) Will take some pictures this weekend and post later. Covering, hood 18" in depth, headlights, fenders (upper portion to match hood coverage) door edges (an 1/8 inch strip along outer edge of door) mirrors and bumper.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Protection, they will chip, scratch and crack just like any other part of the front of the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Getting my clear bra put on today at the dealer :) Will take some pictures this weekend and post later. Covering, hood 18" in depth, headlights, fenders (upper portion to match hood coverage) door edges (an 1/8 inch strip along outer edge of door) mirrors and bumper.
Curious, how much did you pay for the "clear bra"... I'm in NorCal

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Update but no pictures yet

Got the BU back from the dealer and all I can say is WOW, very, very happy how the clear bra looks. I would highly recommend this to any one that wants to keep their beautiful BU looking new and rock chip free :D The installer recommends waiting at least 24hrs before washing the car so no pictures yet. The BU is dirty from all the driving today :D I'll give it a good wash tomorrow morning and post pictures.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Clear bra installed

OK guys/gals, here are a few shots of the clear bra. As mentioned before, this is the best mod? I have done so far. I try my best to take the shots so that the lines would show but it depends on the angle in wich you aproach the car that they're visible. Warranted against cracking, bubbling or yellowing for the life of the vehicle. What you think?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I had Autobahn done on my 04 Monte... all my rock chips happened where the 3m product stopped and the hood began. So, I said what was the point? Then, the Monte got hit in the front - I paid the extra $500 to have it redone. Then it got hit again. LOL!

So, on my LTZ, I've decided to do nothing - it's a little to late now as it's getting rock chipped. I do over 120 miles a day... so it's a daily driver.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.