Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a recurring brake noise issue on my 2012 Malibu LT. I have replaced rotors, pads, and caliper hardware and the issues always comes back. I'm not sure how to describe the noise except as a loud "clack-clack-clack" under deceleration at any speed. The easy remedy is to usully re-lube the guide pins and pad hardware, but again, the problem always comes back. Any suggestions or ideas?

Also, I'm getting a bumping/thudding in the steering at low speeds and hard turns. Is it the rack or some sort of intermediate shaft?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
For thuds in steering at low, I'd check tie rod ends... lift the front end up and check for excessive wiggle (move wheel side to side). If there excessive play, tie rod ends or something with steering rack. If you have excessive play up and down more than like wheelhub/bearing.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
If you have wheel covers pull them off and test, they will make a racket on these cars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a recurring brake noise issue on my 2012 Malibu LT. I have replaced rotors, pads, and caliper hardware and the issues always comes back. I'm not sure how to describe the noise except as a loud "clack-clack-clack" under deceleration at any speed. The easy remedy is to usully re-lube the guide pins and pad hardware, but again, the problem always comes back. Any suggestions or ideas?

Also, I'm getting a bumping/thudding in the steering at low speeds and hard turns. Is it the rack or some sort of intermediate shaft?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
I have the same clack clack but I have alloy ltz rims so it can't be the wheel covers need help to find out what is wrong with mine too IMG_E2933.JPG

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,984 Posts
I have the same clack clack but I have alloy ltz rims so it can't be the wheel covers need help to find out what is wrong with mine too View attachment 67338
When does the "clack clack" happen, how often do you hear it, and how long does it make the sound?

Is it from the front, back, or not sure?

Do you hear it with the windows up, down, or both?

On my 2009 more so than this 2011, when I pulled into my parking spot the night before everything was warm and fuzzy. When I'd go to leave for work the next morning I'd get a single "click" of the brakes. It was just the pads moving slightly in the caliper. After that one sound I wouldn't hear it again until the next morning.

If yours happens while moving or turning the SW, see if you can make it happen while a buddy is outside the car listening as you make a very slow pass. Use only the parking brake to slow your roll to keep from applying the front brakes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When does the "clack clack" happen, how often do you hear it, and how long does it make the sound?

Is it from the front, back, or not sure?

Do you hear it with the windows up, down, or both?

On my 2009 more so than this 2011, when I pulled into my parking spot the night before everything was warm and fuzzy. When I'd go to leave for work the next morning I'd get a single "click" of the brakes. It was just the pads moving slightly in the caliper. After that one sound I wouldn't hear it again until the next morning.

If yours happens while moving or turning the SW, see if you can make it happen while a buddy is outside the car listening as you make a very slow pass. Use only the parking brake to slow your roll to keep from applying the front brakes.
It happens when I take my foot off the gas and start decelerating, it’s definitely on the right side however i dont know whether it is in the front or back, I think front. I hear it when windows are up or down regardless. It also makes the sound the whole time I drive when decelerating.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,984 Posts
Are you able to get a video so that we can hear it?

It could be a number of things, and being able to hear it could be really helpful.

Also, make sure to include in the video and/or your comments what speed you were doing when you lifted off the gas and whether you're applying the brake.

There's a feature called DFCO (deceleration fuel cut-off) that engages after about 5 seconds of deceleration. It helps to slow the car a little more by turning off any fuel to the injectors. That's probably not what you're hearing, but then again, I don't know.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It happens when I take my foot off the gas and start decelerating, it’s definitely on the right side however i dont know whether it is in the front or back, I think front. I hear it when windows are up or down regardless. It also makes the sound the whole time I drive when decelerating.
check tie rods... does it sounds like a shutter kinda when it happens and on the gas goes away?

·
Registered
123 Posts
kinda like a shutter however it is more like a clack and yes whenever I am braking or coastin at high speeds.
Sounds similar to when my tie-rods went... Jack the car up, grab the tire on the sides and see if there is back and forth play (not up and down). If there is excessive play, more than likely your culprit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No really excessive play like I have seen in some youtube videos but I have yet to take a deeper look with the tire off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts