Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...

I have a 08 Malibu with 9K miles on it and my brakes started sqeeking BAD! Is this covered under warranty? I wouldnt think that the bakes should be doing this so fast! Thanks!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 08 LTZ with 6500 miles on it and just started noticing the same thing. It is not bad yet and only happens for a short time when stepping on the brakes, but it is anoying enough that I will call my dealer. I would think that the dealer should be able to take a look at it and cover it under warranty, but no way to know without a call. Let me know what you find out from the dealer? thanks bighitr

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 08 LTZ with 6500 miles on it and just started noticing the same thing. It is not bad yet and only happens for a short time when stepping on the brakes, but it is anoying enough that I will call my dealer. I would think that the dealer should be able to take a look at it and cover it under warranty, but no way to know without a call. Let me know what you find out from the dealer? thanks bighitr
I started noticing mine at around 8K and it has gotten worse. Just talked to the dealer and he asked me to bring it in to have it looked at. Said they "should" cover it because of the low mileage. So we'll see....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Mine have been making squeaking noises with light depressions on the brake since 4,500 miles, and its about to hit 11,000 right now. The squeaking seems to be just dirt, though I have not mentioned it to my dealer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine have been making squeaking noises with light depressions on the brake since 4,500 miles, and its about to hit 11,000 right now. The squeaking seems to be just dirt, though I have not mentioned it to my dealer.
That is what he said it probably was, but I hate driving a brand new car with squeaky brakes. It's at the dealership right now, so I'll update the situation when I hear back.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The easiest way I've found to figure out if it is dirt or not is to take off one of the tires that is squeaking and get your water hose and spray it up in the brake and on the actual elements themselves.

Put back on the wheel, allow to dry (give it about an hour and a half on a fair day), and then drive with your head out of the window (or window down :p) . If you notice one wheel is squeaking and the other is not, your problem is fixed.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Generally wear items like the brakes are covered by a more limited 12k warranty, to account for any early on defects that aren't too wear related.

Hence, warped rotors, squeaking, etc. are covered for your mileage, or should be.

When are they squeaking? First thing when cold and moist in the morning at all? All the time?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Generally wear items like the brakes are covered by a more limited 12k warranty, to account for any early on defects that aren't too wear related.

Hence, warped rotors, squeaking, etc. are covered for your mileage, or should be.

When are they squeaking? First thing when cold and moist in the morning at all? All the time?
Brakes were squeaking at slow stops. Just got it back from the dealership and they said nothing was wrong, just dirty. Also said that these brake pads are hard so they might make some noise. Dont know why they would want that, but whatever. We'll see how they manage. Hopefully it doesnt come back. Thanks everyone!!

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Brakes were squeaking at slow stops. Just got it back from the dealership and they said nothing was wrong, just dirty. Also said that these brake pads are hard so they might make some noise. Dont know why they would want that, but whatever. We'll see how they manage. Hopefully it doesnt come back. Thanks everyone!!
Yes, actually, various brake pad materials are "noisy" by nature, at least a little and in the right conditions. Ceramic comes to mind, depending on the brakes, in this regard.

If the dust builds up, it can happen as well. On our '08, if it's a cool morning, the first stop or two moving up the driveway will elicit a squeak as they're a bit cold & moist, but that's it. As long as the pads are thick and it's not shaking or pulling, you're generally fine.

·
Registered
472 Posts
One of the biggest problems car manufacturers have with Customers is complaints about squeaking brakes. The fact that squeaking doesn't mean anything just doesn't get through to the Customer. Millions of dollars are spent trying to get around something that is normal. If the Customer complains enough they will throw something on and hope he doesn't come back. When he gets a squealing brake come back one mechanic I know just replaces brand new pads with Ceramic pads even though he knows they will not stop a car as well.

Bill

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of the biggest problems car manufacturers have with Customers is complaints about squeaking brakes. The fact that squeaking doesn't mean anything just doesn't get through to the Customer. Millions of dollars are spent trying to get around something that is normal. If the Customer complains enough they will throw something on and hope he doesn't come back. When he gets a squealing brake come back one mechanic I know just replaces brand new pads with Ceramic pads even though he knows they will not stop a car as well.

Bill
This is my 3rd new car in 5 years and none of them have had the sqeaking brakes like this Bu does. My wifes Equinox doesnt squeal, my Nissan titan didnt sqeak and all the other cars on the road that I pull up next to dont make any noise, so obviously it isn't normal! The noise sounds just like the pads are going bad. When I purchase a brand new car I expect it to not sound like a beat up junker coming to a stop with the brakes squealing and squeaking. Its freakin embarassing! If Millions of dollars are spent each year on this, then it sounds like a lot of wasted money!

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
I have less than 4k on ours and I hear a slight squeek On damp mornings only. My ridgeline just turned 30K and the brakes are silent.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I understand that brakes are friction machines, and that sound is something that comes from friction just as gravity pulls you down, but you would think that there would be some material that they would have come up wit by now that is still efficient at stopping a vehicle as well as silent. I have been told that squeaking brakes are a sign of three things:

Poor material quality, they are worn (and thus rubbing "screaming bars" which produce a loud sound), or are dirty and the contaminants are what are making the noise when grinding.
Personally, aside from the latter two, only he former makes sense here since Repeated cleaning only temporarily solves the problem (only because they are probably too wet to make a sound).

·
Registered
472 Posts
This is my 3rd new car in 5 years and none of them have had the sqeaking brakes like this Bu does. My wifes Equinox doesnt squeal, my Nissan titan didnt sqeak and all the other cars on the road that I pull up next to dont make any noise, so obviously it isn't normal! The noise sounds just like the pads are going bad. When I purchase a brand new car I expect it to not sound like a beat up junker coming to a stop with the brakes squealing and squeaking. Its freakin embarassing! If Millions of dollars are spent each year on this, then it sounds like a lot of wasted money!

The problem you have is your perception that brake squeal makes a car sound like a beat up junker. Some of the best brake pads you can buy will make your car squeal like a pig being slaughtered. I do agree with you that the millions are wasted. That was the point I was making. All the manufacturers are doing is trying to satisfy misinformed Customers. By the way all makes and models have squealing brakes. Just because one car doesn't do it doesn't mean an identical one won't squeal. When brake pads are going bad you will be able to tell. The squealers on GM pads make a very distinctive noise that isn't like the noise the pads themselves make. They also make noise when the brake pedal isn't being pressed. If the pad is worn sufficiently it doesn't squeal. It grinds.

Bill

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The problem you have is your perception that brake squeal makes a car sound like a beat up junker. Some of the best brake pads you can buy will make your car squeal like a pig being slaughtered. I do agree with you that the millions are wasted. That was the point I was making. All the manufacturers are doing is trying to satisfy misinformed Customers. By the way all makes and models have squealing brakes. Just because one car doesn't do it doesn't mean an identical one won't squeal. When brake pads are going bad you will be able to tell. The squealers on GM pads make a very distinctive noise that isn't like the noise the pads themselves make. They also make noise when the brake pedal isn't being pressed. If the pad is worn sufficiently it doesn't squeal. It grinds.

Bill
You're obviously a dealer or at one point was one. You have your own opinion, but you can see with other posts on here that no one agrees with you. It shouldnt be considered "normal" for a new car to, "squeal like a pid being slaughtered" as you put it.
Also, I have always been told that when a car's brakes grind... then you have a whole new problem, because it is now past the brake pads and onto your rotors, equaling more money to get it fixed. But that is also what the dealership wants.... wait for grinding and now the pads AND the rotors have to be replaced!

·
Registered
59 Posts
IMHO - Brake squeal has always been repairable. In most cases all it takes is some 'goo' on the back of the pads. There may also be small parts missing and/or mis-installed. Of course, a thorough cleaning is the first thing to do. Sometimes it just takes new pads even when they aren't 'worn out' they may well be warped, it doesn't take much more than one ABS stop to kill pads and/or rotors.

BTW - If you hear 'grinding' you are already looking at much more than just pad replacement, generally you've worn down to the rivets in the pads by then which means the rotors are damaged too....

·
Registered
472 Posts
You're obviously a dealer or at one point was one. You have your own opinion, but you can see with other posts on here that no one agrees with you. It shouldnt be considered "normal" for a new car to, "squeal like a pid being slaughtered" as you put it.
Also, I have always been told that when a car's brakes grind... then you have a whole new problem, because it is now past the brake pads and onto your rotors, equaling more money to get it fixed. But that is also what the dealership wants.... wait for grinding and now the pads AND the rotors have to be replaced!
I am not and have never been a dealer or have ever been involved with one other than buying a car from one. I have been racing Corvettes for the last 16 years and have learned a lot about brake pads, rotors, etc over the years. As I said some of the most expensive pads you can buy will make the brakes squeal. I even know one mechanic who forestalls customer complaints about brake squealing by installing ceramic pads on every car he does a brake job on even though those pads will not stop a car as well. You get what you want but not what you need.

Bill

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey everyone , on my 08 I had the same problem it has 15K on it now and it was sqeaking pretty bad at almost every stop I took , kinda embarassing so I talked to the dealer he said that they are covered up to 30K so I took it in and when I got it back the tech said that mine was the 7th one with this problem and it is that the brake fluid is leaking into the master cylinder and causing the squeaks and it helped fix the other 6 including his that he bought as well... but i got it back it seemed fine for a bit and then it started again...so now i got to make a new apointment and hopefully get it fixed finally this week , I'll keep everyone updated.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Several cars I owned had slight squeaking in certain conditions, so some of that is normal.
However, I don't think it means ALL squeaking is normal....I would go by how much of it is there or if it's weather related and if it goes after a bit of driving.
Btw, I had a lot of squeaking last Friday when I was in extremely slow traffic for about half an hour. But day after everything was ok. Also heard some minor squeaking couple of times before getting out of a parking lot at work...So, so far, it doesn't bother me much, but if it gets louder and more constant then I'd start worrying about it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
the tech said -- the brake fluid is leaking into the master cylinder and causing the squeaks and it helped fix the other 6 including his that he bought as well...
This explanation doesn't make sense. The master cylinder has brake fluid in it. If fluid is leaking past the seal on the master cylinder piston you would have a problem stopping the car and squeal would be the very least of your issues.

Bill

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.