Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long or how many miles should you drive this or any new car to break her in?

I screwed up with my last car (New Beetle) by not really giving it time to break in...and the trip from Orlando to Atlanta for NOPI Nationals didn't help either. Apparently I didn't give the oil seals time to adjust and from then on I was pouring a qt of oil in her every month or so.

My driving style since those days has calmed down and I know I'm only driving a 4 banger LS so it's not going to demolish any land speed quarter mile records, but I still wanna slam on the peddle a few times just to guage what she's capable of. I knew my bug in and out and what her limits were....now I have to adjust to this one and I really want to start the ROAD & TRACK BASS EDITION Proving Ground Tests...hehe.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello Bass,
I followed the manual's instruction for the break-in. I basically didn't use cruise control, varied my engine speed, and made sure I didn't break hard for the first 500 mi. After that, everything slowly increased. I also made sure that my take-offs were less than 4,000 rpms. As time went on, I floored it every once in a while just to make sure seals and rings are set properly.

There are so many articles out there that discuss this, and many people have many different techniques (some say drive it like ya stole it!). I just drive normally and don't really baby it, and I'm achieving the mileage that's on the window sticker.

Good luck and congrats on your 'Bu!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Bass,
I followed the manual's instruction for the break-in. I basically didn't use cruise control..

HEHE...oops...maybe I should have read the manual regarding that part. I've been rocking cruise control like an Etheopian at a Las Vegas Buffet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.