Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Iv replaced the left side and now that im on the right , I cant get any vise grips to grip the metal. The left side omegle , the vise grips was able to sink its teeth in. Any suggestions on getting the vise grips to sink in so I can get a grip? Iv tired heat, even heating with a yellow torch can even after letting it start and warm up, discord made sure to let the studs cool so they arnt expanding with the block , xender even tried getting it glowing and putting wax on it. Been at it for 3 days now... I swear the other side came out like butter.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Welding a nut onto stud is the last resort before having to drill out old stud using left hand drill bits to possibly get stud to back out or drillling out and installing heli coil inserts. Once they break off those are the last resorts
Also a easy out in a hole drilled into broken stud is a option. I never have had good luck with easy outs as if and when they break off in the broken stud they are a double pain to drill out as they are hardened steel and do not like to drill out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've seen some Youtube videos of people using inductive heaters to heat bolt to cherry red color to break the rust bonds. Perhaps if you weld the nut on and that doesn't work you could try to get access to such a tool. I've never had good luck drilling out bolts. It's very hard to get it started in the center of the bolt, especially if the access is limited.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts