Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was filling the car up with gas today and noticed that the lower rear plastic fender piece was sticking out about 3/4 inch from the upper metal fender.

I gave a gentle push to the plastic bumper part and it "snapped" back in. The seam alignment appears perfect when pushed in.

Anyone else have this issue with these two body parts not lining up? My only thought was the colder weather made it pop out but Ive had many cars with this seam and had no problems.

Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
my first thought was that it was an assembly error.
was it popped like that before?

·
Registered
281 Posts
if you do a search we already had this on a topic. the bumpers are made to slide in case it gets bumped in a parkinglot or something there is no "real fix" for it all the dealer does is have someone push on it till its even on both sides almost all bu's do this

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeah, I've actually lost a paneling bolt from where they were too saggy and the bolt got loose and fell out. If it was not for this, however, my fender would have been ripped off of the 'Bu when I had my car swiped when parked.

I took it into the dealership and they replaced the bolt, at no charge to me, and asked me just to watch it and they'll replace it since there is no fix and it is designed to do it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you do a search we already had this on a topic. the bumpers are made to slide in case it gets bumped in a parkinglot or something there is no "real fix" for it all the dealer does is have someone push on it till its even on both sides almost all bu's do this
No marks on the rear bumper that would indicate it was "bumped" forcing this to pop out. Seems like there should be a clip that holds this seam together.

If this keeps popping out it would seem to be a defect.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Wisconsin Proud said:
If this keeps popping out it would seem to be a defect.
One would think, but once you pop the bolt back in it seems fine for about a week and then the bolt gets loose again. I've just made it a habit to punch it back in whenever I do my walk-around (every time I let my car warm up in a public parking lot)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One would think, but once you pop the bolt back in it seems fine for about a week and then the bolt gets loose again. I've just made it a habit to punch it back in whenever I do my walk-around (every time I let my car warm up in a public parking lot)
Sorry, guys, I now see the thread about this issue. It's the exact problem.

Is there a TSB out for this problem? There should be if there isnt.

Frankly, I dont want to do a walk around every day to pop it back in.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well, I have no problem with it. I like knowing I am keeping my Malibu in tip-top shape. I'd do maintenance on it if it did not void the warranty! Imagine how crushed I was when I found out how hard it is to change out the headlights and blinkers. I was going to alter my front blinkers to have an amber hue, closer to red than orange/yellow with some gloss paint but it just is not worth the time to take the front apart to me.

That and I do a walk-around on my Malibu anyways so I know when the car parked next to me might have not been so nice to her :mad: I keep a tire bat with a led bar bored through the middle in my trunk for a reason, and it is not just in case the TPMS fails :rolleyes: My only problem is that it tries to roll out from under the cargo liner...I hate hearing that "THUD" when I hit the brakes :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.