Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone mess with installing an amp and subs with the base sound system in the 2008 LS? I am wondering, since I plan to place a 500+ watt amp with two subs back in the trunk and I would rather not fight with the dealer to do it. I am also looking to have it to where the amplifier has a cut-off where it turns off when the radio turns off. Anyone know how to go about this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Every amp has a line called "remote," which tells it when to power on and off. Its been a while, but I think this can be split off of the ignition assembly (where you put the key in...), but it could be off the head unit. Like I said, its been a while since I've done anything like this. You obviously need to run power from your battery to your amp in trunk (use a properly rated inline fuse). As far as how you get your source (telling your amp HOW to power your subs), jimmy riggin off the current sub is not recommended (if there is a factory sub) as it could blow your factory amp. If you're going to do this, I'd suggest going all the way and replacing head unit as well and maybe rest of the speakers powered by an additional amp (or maybe a decent head unit if you want to go chintsy). If you go halfway, you're going to have problems. All this being said and regardless of the setup you choose, you have to consider the strain you're going to put on your battery/alternator.

I don't think the dealer will touch this. You can try a car audio installation shop, usually small shops in every area, I know best buy will do this too. However, my experience with them is that they don't really care how they hook it up, as long as it works when you drive off (ie 2 weeks later your head unit fries). My best advice is to research, research, research. Figure out how others have done this (google is your friend), and if you decide to try get a Chilton manual. They're at any NAPA or AutoZone, they show you everything you'll ever need to know about your car - wiring diagrams, how to take apart your doors and remove seats (things you'll need if doing install yourself), stuff like that.

This isn't an easy task, and nobody in a shop is going to care as much about your car as you do. Save your money and time, the car will only last a couple years anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.