Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all.
I have chevy sonic 15 (not turbo engie).
I want to buy a new chevy car.
In the price i can get 2017-18 cruze or 2015 malibu 2liter (90k kilometres).
What is your recommended?
The fuel economy on malibu is bad? There is a big difference between the cars?. What is more reliable?
What i need to check before i buy the malibu?

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Malibu LT
170 Posts
Hi to all.
I have chevy sonic 15 (not turbo engie).
I want to buy a new chevy car.
In the price i can get 2017-18 cruze or 2015 malibu 2liter (90k kilometres).
What is your recommended?
The fuel economy on malibu is bad? There is a big difference between the cars?. What is more reliable?
What i need to check before i buy the malibu?
If the Malibu has been well maintained ie multipoint inspection by the dealership/reputable mechanic it’s superior to the Cruze in every way. Cruze has a little better fuel economy. On the other hand a certified pre owned Cruze with warranty might be a good idea. Best to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the Malibu has been well maintained ie multipoint inspection by the dealership/reputable mechanic it’s superior to the Cruze in every way. Cruze has a little better fuel economy. On the other hand a certified pre owned Cruze with warranty might be a good idea. Best to you.
What about the lspi. I need to afraid about it? Iths the 2 liter engie.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,245 Posts
Any turbo direct injection engine is susceptible to LSPI. Both the 1.4T Cruze and 2.0T Malibu are turbo direct injection engines. Incidents of LSPI are rare but it is a risk. I have a turbo direct injection Malibu and I am not afraid of it. I have 130,000 miles and the engine is running fine and has been problem-free.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Any turbo direct injection engine is susceptible to LSPI. Both the 1.4T Cruze and 2.0T Malibu are turbo direct injection engines. Incidents of LSPI are rare but it is a risk. I have a turbo direct injection Malibu and I am not afraid of it. I have 130,000 miles and the engine is running fine and has been problem-free.
Thx alot.
Do tou know if the engie ltg 2 liter that in the 15 malibu is more reliable from the le2 engie? (That in the cruze).
How ever
The cruze and the malibu- they are not under warranty. The 15 malibu be more solid then cruze 17-18? ( Not just in the engine -in all the assemblies)
Here we call the 8gth malibu "rocket" :)
By the way i see alot of 8gth malibu that reach the 200k whit the original engie.

·
Super Moderator
4,245 Posts
I wouldn't say the 2.0T LTG is more reliable than the 1.4T LE2. The 1.4T can be a wonderfully reliable engine as can the 2.0T. Maintenance is a significant factor in the reliability of any engine. If I had to pick one I would go the 2.0T LTG in the 15 Malibu. The transmission is reliable, the engine is reliable and significantly more powerful, car is more roomy, and electronics of the 2.0T gen8 Malibu are generally solid. I have nothing against the Cruze at all; if the price is similar I think you get more bang for the buck with the 2015 Malibu 2.0T.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't say the 2.0T LTG is more reliable than the 1.4T LE2. The 1.4T can be a wonderfully reliable engine as can the 2.0T. Maintenance is a significant factor in the reliability of any engine. If I had to pick one I would go the 2.0T LTG in the 15 Malibu. The transmission is reliable, the engine is reliable and significantly more powerful, car is more roomy, and electronics of the 2.0T gen8 Malibu are generally solid. I have nothing against the Cruze at all; if the price is similar I think you get more bang for the buck with the 2015 Malibu 2.0T.
Can you give me a tips how to check this malibu beforce i buy? .
How i will know if the engie is healthy?

·
Super Moderator
4,245 Posts
Here are things I would check, in order of how I would check. I'm not going to mention things that are basic maintenance like brakes, these are just red flag items:

Drive at least 15km and turn the engine off and on at least twice. That will expose any fault codes that have been cleared.

When you drive, notice shifts for smoothness.

A/C and heat working with no odd smells?

At a stop with engine running, shift between R and D. Does it handle that ok with nothing more than a very minor thunk?

Use a selfie stick and look under the engine - try and see all sides for leaks.

Go to the driver side front tire. Get down behind it and look where the half shaft/axle connects to the transmission. See if that is leak-free.

Look under the car everywhere. Look for evidence of major repairs or extreme rust/corrosion.

Pull dipstick - does it look like normal oil? No milky or foamy appearance?

Check electrical. Brake lights, headlights - high and low beams, infotainment, Bluetooth...

Seems like a lot but it's quick stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are things I would check, in order of how I would check. I'm not going to mention things that are basic maintenance like brakes, these are just red flag items:

Drive at least 15km and turn the engine off and on at least twice. That will expose any fault codes that have been cleared.

When you drive, notice shifts for smoothness.

A/C and heat working with no odd smells?

At a stop with engine running, shift between R and D. Does it handle that ok with nothing more than a very minor thunk?

Use a selfie stick and look under the engine - try and see all sides for leaks.

Go to the driver side front tire. Get down behind it and look where the half shaft/axle connects to the transmission. See if that is leak-free.

Look under the car everywhere. Look for evidence of major repairs or extreme rust/corrosion.

Pull dipstick - does it look like normal oil? No milky or foamy appearance?

Check electrical. Brake lights, headlights - high and low beams, infotainment, Bluetooth...

Seems like a lot but it's quick stuff.
Hi.
There is a different between malibu 14s' and 15s'? There is a engie update or transmission? Or they are the same car?.
Thx

·
Super Moderator
4,245 Posts
If still speaking of the 2.0T it is the LTG with 6T70 transmission in both 2014 and 2015 in all markets as far as I know. There is more variance in the non-turbo cars - some international markets used the 2.4 and some even offered a 3.0 V6. The 2.5 even had to slightly different variants depending on year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If still speaking of the 2.0T it is the LTG with 6T70 transmission in both 2014 and 2015 in all markets as far as I know. There is more variance in the non-turbo cars - some international markets used the 2.4 and some even offered a 3.0 V6. The 2.5 even had to slightly different variants depending on year.
Thx for your comment.
What you think about malibu 16-17 lfv engie?
This engie is realisable?

·
Super Moderator
4,245 Posts
I wouldn't touch a used 2016-2017 1.5 LFV with a ten foot pole - especially if it is a North American export. They are early years gen9 cars and there are body issues that are easily fixed for free under warranty but not cheap out of warranty. There are also batches that had bad pistons making it more susceptible to LSPI. GM recalled the cars with the suspect pistons and replaced them preemptively but buying one used just isn't a risk I would take.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts