Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

This Sunday I am going to meet with a dealer back in my home town. He has a 2009 LTZ V6 that I want to look at. Their "red tag" price on this veh is about $24K. Edmunds.com has a "true market value" of the LTZ with the V6 around $23K right now. This will be my first car purchase so I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I sit down at the table to talk numbers. What would be a reasonable starting point for me? Should I start by asking for $20K and work from there? What do you think is a reasonable price for me to pay for that car in today's economy when GM is looking to make every sale they can get. Thanks...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here's what I posted over on the "What Did You Pay?" thread:

Yesterday, after negotiating with 4 dealers for a V6 LTZ with varying degrees of success, I finally settled on a deal for $21,722. That included a dealer (MSRP $30,249) discount plus GM Cashback ($1250), Loyalty ($1000), Lessee ($2000) and a GM Card top-off ($2000). As the wife would say: "I couldn't leave it there". (Besides, the last 'bu was leased and goes back this month).
But, I'm satisfied.

. . . of course this was with the January incentives--but perhaps it will help you guage things.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Try to get them to knock 18-22 hundred off the sticker, then subtract current incentives that I think are $2750. If you have any other discounts subtract them next, GM card, Lessee, credit union discounts, car show ticket stub etc. Then subtract your trade and add their documentation fee. Most dealers charge 3-4 hundred, make them knock it down to $100 as its a B.S. charge.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here's what I posted over on the "What Did You Pay?" thread:

Yesterday, after negotiating with 4 dealers for a V6 LTZ with varying degrees of success, I finally settled on a deal for $21,722. That included a dealer (MSRP $30,249) discount plus GM Cashback ($1250), Loyalty ($1000), Lessee ($2000) and a GM Card top-off ($2000). As the wife would say: "I couldn't leave it there". (Besides, the last 'bu was leased and goes back this month).
But, I'm satisfied.

. . . of course this was with the January incentives--but perhaps it will help you guage things.

Good Luck!
In a nutshell, you've explained a good portion of why GM lost $9B this last quarter.:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
In a nutshell, you've explained a good portion of why GM lost $9B this last quarter.:D
Possibly . . . but more likely it's this: Of the four dealers I dealt with online, one did not respond at all; one, even after a personal visit (I made my last purchase there), and knowing he had a $1500 gap to make up, refused to come down a penny on the price of an LTZ that had been on the lot for months; another, my local guy, responded to all my emails with canned responses; no answers to my questions, relentless emails asking "how are we doing"--and made like each time was the first time he had dialog with me. Even after I stated I really wanted to buy locally, they didn't step up at all. To this day, even after advising them of "game over", their "Customer Support liasion" asks if I was satisfied.

The "winner" came in with the best price from day one. Then offered up a thousand more for my trade-in and really made the entire transaction painless. Everybody else acted as if they couldn't care less whether they moved a car. Too bad, since the other three LTZs still reside on their respective lots.

BTW, after 40 years of driving GM, I've had some great cars and some not-so great cars--but never really a bad one. The Malibu is a step above any (sedan) I've had. Drives great; handles like a "rat in a drainpipe"; and is IMO, quality-wise, possibly the best GM has ever offered. An all-around terrific ride.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Possibly . . . but more likely it's this: Of the four dealers I dealt with online, one did not respond at all; one, even after a personal visit (I made my last purchase there), and knowing he had a $1500 gap to make up, refused to come down a penny on the price of an LTZ that had been on the lot for months; another, my local guy, responded to all my emails with canned responses; no answers to my questions, relentless emails asking "how are we doing"--and made like each time was the first time he had dialog with me. Even after I stated I really wanted to buy locally, they didn't step up at all. To this day, even after advising them of "game over", their "Customer Support liasion" asks if I was satisfied.

The "winner" came in with the best price from day one. Then offered up a thousand more for my trade-in and really made the entire transaction painless. Everybody else acted as if they couldn't care less whether they moved a car. Too bad, since the other three LTZs still reside on their respective lots.

BTW, after 40 years of driving GM, I've had some great cars and some not-so great cars--but never really a bad one. The Malibu is a step above any (sedan) I've had. Drives great; handles like a "rat in a drainpipe"; and is IMO, quality-wise, possibly the best GM has ever offered. An all-around terrific ride.
Its possible he didnt want to sell it to you for very little to no profit. They are in business to make money, not just to move cars.

Each dealership has different overhead etc. Not all costs are the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.