Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am a Hyundai Tech and I have never seen anything like this before. I have a 08 1LT and I figured I would see how easy it would be to change the cabin filter and saw "cut on dash line to install filter" written on the hvac box behind the glove box. You have to cut into the hvac box to install a cabin filter? Anyone cut into there brand new car yet? I dont want to be the test mule.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm curious what would make you think that there is a cabin filter? I've never seen anything to indicate that this vehicle has one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
most vehicles produced today have a cabin filter. you know in this day of cleaner air you would think it would have one.so i figured why not check.
it has a spot for you just have to cut into it and i was wondering if anyone has done that yet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I figured if it had one it would be in the manual or listed somewhere as a feature.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes I actually went and looked in my car for the "cut on dash line" feature and did not see this. I will not be cutting into my new Malibu.

·
Registered
701 Posts
WOW - Pretty crazy!

Interesting, although maybe I am missing something here....are you guys saying there is not actually a filter installed right now, BUT can you can install one if you make the simple cut?

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
Isn't there a member here that's a Service Tech for a Chevy Dealer? I'm sure he can shed some light on this.

Anyone remember who I'm talking about?

·
Registered
421 Posts
So I am a Hyundai Tech and I have never seen anything like this before. I have a 08 1LT and I figured I would see how easy it would be to change the cabin filter and saw "cut on dash line to install filter" written on the hvac box behind the glove box. You have to cut into the hvac box to install a cabin filter? Anyone cut into there brand new car yet? I dont want to be the test mule.
Pics please. The 07's have a spot for it, so I expected that the 08's might too (very much under the skin is the same, as the platform itself was already solid, just the design details and some extras, as well as the powertrain have been updated heavily). But the 07's actually have a removable cover already.

·
Registered
135 Posts
there is no cabin filter on the 08 malibus

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know GM quit installing cabin filters on the 03 and up 2500 series trucks, so I would not be surprised to know the new Malibu does not have one. They did it to save a dollar. Not surprising.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We just purchased a 2009 1LT. Does anyone konow if there is a cabin filter in this model year? I'm not finding it in the owners manual or on-line, so I'm assuming it doesn't exist.

·
Registered
193 Posts
We just purchased a 2009 1LT. Does anyone konow if there is a cabin filter in this model year? I'm not finding it in the owners manual or on-line, so I'm assuming it doesn't exist.
I am pretty certain the 2008-09 Malibu does not have a cabin air filter. (Kinda strange, since the Cobalt does have one...)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure about the '09 owners manual, but the '08 can be found at the GM Owner Center. I have an '08. The first time I checked there the manual was for the Malibu Classic. When I checked today, the correct one for my '08 was there.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The first time I checked there the manual was for the Malibu Classic. When I checked today, the correct one for my '08 was there.
Good to know this has finally been corrected.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm interested in this issue with regards to a possible air circulation enhancement in the cabin. In particular, easier transmission/AC to the rear of the car.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
This is pretty intriguing... I stumbled across this thread because I just ordered a replacement cabin air filter for various reasons (i used to notice a big difference on my 03 impala when i'd change it). Now there might not be one? What did amazon.com's "part finder" scam me into???

Any thoughts guys? I am certainly getting something in the mail that claims to fit an '09 2.4L LS. We shall see. I'll keep you updated. Tonight and Saturday are going to be in the garage to rotate tires, repair a windshield chip, and do a pretty thorough inspection, etc... I'll have some time to poke around. (and no, i wont "cut" anything to appease some curious individuals :))

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.