Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am looking into buying a 2017 Malibu Premier as I rented out the 6-speed Auto (Not CVT) a couple of times and loved the quiet and controlled driving experience. But my apprehension is that I drive a lot, 20K miles a year at least and I see a lot of little issues like water in trunk, tail lights going , DRL issue, etc. Currently, I own a 2012 Passat 2.5L at 160K Miles. It hasn't given me any major problems so far except a couple of sensors and alternator going out. I wanted to know from high mileage owners on whether this trim (Premier) will go long term like 250K Miles? My previous cars were accords and altimas which went easy up to 250K but I not fond of the their driving experience anymore ...

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,879 Posts
Welcome @uos.

Few thoughts:

1) You mention renting a 6-speed version and liked the quiet and controlled driving experience. The 6-speed is paired with the 2016-2018 1.5T and isn't available in the Premier trim. The 2017 Premier has the 2.0T paired with 9-speed.
2) we have a small discussion of mixed 1.5, 2.0, and Hybrid owners just hitting 100k here: Gen9 100,000 Club
3) I am close to 100k in my 2016 1.5/6-speed but not yet posting in that thread as it hasn't happened
4) Aiming for 250k is a guessing game at this point. I doubt any of the current malibus would get there without some investment such as a turbo replacement and the usual wear parts. Time will tell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome @uos.

Few thoughts:

1) You mention renting a 6-speed version and liked the quiet and controlled driving experience. The 6-speed is paired with the 2016-2018 1.5T and isn't available in the Premier trim. The 2017 Premier has the 2.0T paired with 9-speed.
2) we have a small discussion of mixed 1.5, 2.0, and Hybrid owners just hitting 100k here: Gen9 100,000 Club
3) I am close to 100k in my 2016 1.5/6-speed but not yet posting in that thread as it hasn't happened
4) Aiming for 250k is a guessing game at this point. I doubt any of the current malibus would get there without some investment such as a turbo replacement and the usual wear parts. Time will tell.

Thanks for the response. Yes I drove around the 1.5L, my thinking is if that was such a nice car then 2.0L will be even better. I guess my question is the reliability for either of these trims versus the competition like Accord, Camry. If any one here have experiences here with Japanese cars previously or currently versus the Malibu.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,733 Posts
Thanks for the response. Yes I drove around the 1.5L, my thinking is if that was such a nice car then 2.0L will be even better. I guess my question is the reliability for either of these trims versus the competition like Accord, Camry. If any one here have experiences here with Japanese cars previously or currently versus the Malibu.
If it was my choice, I'd go with the 2.0t since it isn't paired with the CVT, and it has a lot more power, so if you were to get the 1.5t and then want more power, you'd be up a crick without a paddle, so to speak. They both get very similar highway mileage, so for me the choice would be even easier. I drive a 2011 with the V6 and am really glad I got the bigger engine. It's not the performance that's at the top of the heap, even though it has plenty. It's the heavier-duty transmission that suggests that it'll go the distance. The mileage is enough less than its 2011 2.4L that it was a bit of a decision the first time around, but this is now my 3rd Gen7 (2009, 2011, 2011) and all 3 have had the V6.

Along with the 2.0t you have options on higher-level appointments as well, so if that interests you, that might be the way to go.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I leased a 2017 LT 1.5 and now own a 2018 Premier 2.0. My 2017 LT had most of the options my 2018 Premier has. The Premier has adaptive cruise, park assist, and dual exhaust pipes which the LT didn't have. I think my old 1.5 was quieter especially when first turned on. While my 2.0 definitely has more power the fuel economy isn't similar at all especially having to use premium. I get about 31-32 on the highway and my 1.5 was always at least 38. It the city it is even worse I get about 22 and used to get at least 28. But I don't really care about the money it is just the more frequent fillups that gets annoying. re: domestic vs japanese or better said domestic incorporated vs japanese incorporated i don't think there is a difference. Some cars are fine some cars have problems. There isnt an oh its a ford it can't have problems or its a honda it is perfect. 404 not found.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,733 Posts
Thanks for the added info and the correction to mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I leased a 2017 LT 1.5 and now own a 2018 Premier 2.0. My 2017 LT had most of the options my 2018 Premier has. The Premier has adaptive cruise, park assist, and dual exhaust pipes which the LT didn't have. I think my old 1.5 was quieter especially when first turned on. While my 2.0 definitely has more power the fuel economy isn't similar at all especially having to use premium. I get about 31-32 on the highway and my 1.5 was always at least 38. It the city it is even worse I get about 22 and used to get at least 28. But I don't really care about the money it is just the more frequent fillups that gets annoying. re: domestic vs japanese or better said domestic incorporated vs japanese incorporated i don't think there is a difference. Some cars are fine some cars have problems. There isnt an oh its a ford it can't have problems or its a honda it is perfect. 404 not found.

Great info here, thank you. Is okay to run Regular gas in Premier trim regularly? How do you rate the Adaptive Cruise Control in Malibu , do you regularly use it? I have used it in a Durango but system was very jerky as in sometimes it would brake very early , sometimes late and rather abruptly. The smoothest once i found was on a Volvo S90 (rental) and Kia Telluride (test drove).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it was my choice, I'd go with the 2.0t since it isn't paired with the CVT, and it has a lot more power, so if you were to get the 1.5t and then want more power, you'd be up a crick without a paddle, so to speak. They both get very similar highway mileage, so for me the choice would be even easier. I drive a 2011 with the V6 and am really glad I got the bigger engine. It's not the performance that's at the top of the heap, even though it has plenty. It's the heavier-duty transmission that suggests that it'll go the distance. The mileage is enough less than its 2011 2.4L that it was a bit of a decision the first time around, but this is now my 3rd Gen7 (2009, 2011, 2011) and all 3 have had the V6.

Along with the 2.0t you have options on higher-level appointments as well, so if that interests you, that might be the way to go.
Yes I cannot stand the CVTs, no matter how good or fuel efficient they are. Thats why i am eyeing for either a Premier or 1.5L from 2016 to 2018 i believe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
93 Premium is recommended in my 2.0. I think you can run regular but the manual says power and mpg are reduced and you have to listen for knock and if heard use premium asap or engine can be damaged. On top of that things I read here turn me off to running regular to save 60 cents/gal. The adaptive cruise works well. I have been in some cars that start cutting speed too soon and I hate that the Malibu seems just right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts