Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm not sure what's going on with my car. But this is what happened to me so far. Possessed? Maybe... It's a 2016 LS

1. I come out of work and press the button on the handle to unlock the car. It doesn't work. After the third try it honks the horn three times and says Theft Attempted.

2. I get to the gas station. Shut off the car and it honks three times before I get out of the car. I don't even have the door open at this point. Then when I get back into the car it's making a clicking noise.

3. Today I used the unlock button on my key fob. It honks at me.

4. Get to the gas station and it honks three times before I get out again.

5. I get home and lock the car until the alarm is set. About 30 minutes later the horn starts to go off. It doesn't seem to do it if I don't activate the alarm because no one complained at work yet.

Do you think it's electrical or my key fob? I plan on calling the dealership in the morning, but wanted some ideas or experiences.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,082 Posts
Check the battery. Even a battery that'll start a modern car could be due for replacement. How old is the battery?

·
Registered
4 Posts
What you describe sounds like an issue with a door ajar signal to the BCM. In order to help any further, we need you to be as precise as possible with your descriptions of what happens, and when.

Based on the statement you made saying it honked three times before you got out, makes it sound like the driver door ajar signal status to the BCM is coming and going. This should also manifest as messages on the DIC saying door ajar while you are driving at some point.

Now the first statement you made where the car would not unlock with your fob by pressing the driver PEPS button and it saying theft attempted after the 3rd attempt. This needs explanation. How do you get into the car if this happens?

If you use your fob to unlock the vehicle and it honks at you, this means there was a previous attempt to gain "unauthorized" access to the vehicle. The cluster DIC will indicate this to you, and will help in diagnosis if you suspect it to be defective. The use of the physical key on the door will trip the alarm in manual mode if a valid fob is also not detected within 30 seconds that starts the vehicle (pre-alarm sequence).

RKE (fob) is likely not the issue, this sounds like a door ajar status problem.

Nothing is impossible to diagnose, we just need to make sure we understand all of the information you are feeding us accurately. (Hint: I have built 340,000+ of these ;).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After a few tries the door button, it was unlocked and I could get in. Not sure why it decided to work at that point.

It hasn't done it since, but I haven't tried to use the alarm or lock the car. I had the battery tested like it was suggested in another post and it came back bad. So I'm picking up the battery today. I was also told by the dealership that when the battery begins to go bad, the security is the first to start acting up. Hopefully it helps! I'll keep you guys posted on what happens :) I appreciate the help/knowledge. I know you get a ton of mechanic questions, so I am grateful for the assistance! I like going to the mechanic already having a possible idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts