Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Malibu Lt is making noise sounds like in the Trunk area. I noticed the other day that when I get out the car it makes a creaking noiseDoes anyone know what it can be

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,400 Posts
Please read this post and provide a bit more info about your car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2016 Malibu Lt is making noise sounds like in the Trunk area. I noticed the other day that when I get out the car it makes a creaking noiseDoes anyone know what it can be
I see you did post your model, year and trim level. So we know you have a 1.5 liter turbo 4 cylinder with an automatic transmission. There is a creaking or popping noise associated with these cars and a service bulletin involving a creaking noise although this is the first I've heard when getting out of the car. Usually like in my 2018 it's when backing, starting or low speed over bumps. Anyway the service bulletin lists the first thing they try is washers in the upper rear shock mounts. Look it up, I'm not a real techie but you should find it on the search feature here.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,741 Posts
I see you did post your model, year and trim level. So we know you have a 1.5 liter turbo 4 cylinder with an automatic transmission.
A 2016 Malibu LT can be either the 1LT which is a 1.5 or 2LT which is the 2.0. Odds are it is the 1.5 as that accounts for 75% of sales but not a given. Complete vehicle info always helps which is why DD asked.

The creaking noise doesn't really match the wood-like lumber noise of the bulletin for the washer or knuckle replacement but those bulletins can be found in the bulletin sticky at the top of the gen9 problem section. Worth checking but in-person mechanic diagnosis is best.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are a lot of reasons why you are hearing the noise coming from the car. If you're not sure where it is coming from then it will be best to have it checked by a mechanic.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,400 Posts
A 2016 Malibu LT can be either the 1LT which is a 1.5 or 2LT which is the 2.0. Odds are it is the 1.5 as that accounts for 75% of sales but not a given. Complete vehicle info always helps which is why DD asked.

The creaking noise doesn't really match the wood-like lumber noise of the bulletin for the washer or knuckle replacement but those bulletins can be found in the bulletin sticky at the top of the gen9 problem section. Worth checking but in-person mechanic diagnosis is best.
That is true about why I asked.

I also asked so I can help new members understand how helpful it is to provide the information as soon as possible, as it helps everyone who's helping to help her help herself.

If the mileage is way up there, then that could also contribute to the issue, since wear does, indeed, make things more obvious than if it has fewer miles.

I see you did post your model, year and trim level. So we know you have a 1.5 liter turbo 4 cylinder with an automatic transmission. There is a creaking or popping noise associated with these cars and a service bulletin involving a creaking noise although this is the first I've heard when getting out of the car. Usually like in my 2018 it's when backing, starting or low speed over bumps. Anyway the service bulletin lists the first thing they try is washers in the upper rear shock mounts. Look it up, I'm not a real techie but you should find it on the search feature here.
Like @campb292 said, there's a 75% chance it's a 1.5T, but instead of assuming, I ask. We've all heard what happens when you assume. Oh, wait, I'm assuming we've all heard... ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2017 LT with the 1.5, 82K miles. I started hearing the same noise and saw this TSB. I have an extended warranty through Ally and they paid for the repair less my $100 deductible. I went ahead and put shocks on since I plan to keep it another couple of years. I've driven it over 1000 miles, so far so good. Overall I have really enjoyed driving my Malibu.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts