Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone ,
I have a 08 3.6L V6 ltz , and I recently been battling trying to figure out whether its an 02 sensor issue or need to change CAT all together. I got the Engine Light and when I checked its P0420 (Bank 2) error . I keep asking every mechanic ive come across and even muffler/cat shops if this is 02 sensor issue or CAT. They all just try to get me to replace everything. (Side note how much is a fair price to get CAT change? I had one guy tell me 600+ for both sides and then 500 for only one? Thats gotta be BS right? ) I just want the engine light gone and honestly wanted to straight pipe the thing but have surfed the forum with negative Reponses about doing so. Any recommendations on what to look for or do? I know I could just buy an 02 sensor and see if the light goes away but Im also curious , couldn't these mechanics Ive gone to see if on their computers can detect if the 02 sensor is malfunctioning ? Or is the Malibu that much of a pain to diagnose?

Thanks

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,858 Posts
How many miles are on your 'Bu?

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
At your mileage the cats may be worn out. Cats are not cheap. Does your car have CA emissions? If so, then factory cats are a must as car is programmed for them and aftermarket CA compliant cats are not readily available and cheaper Federal cats will trigger the P420 in short order.
When it comes to cat issues shops change them out, once and done. No recalls on the work performed or let's try this first and see what happens.
They are a business and only make money off first-time fixes not experimental repairs.
You can change your rear O2 sensors but 9 out of 10 the cats are worn out. Good news is money is not wasted on the new sensors as they all should be changed when new cats are installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At your mileage the cats may be worn out. Cats are not cheap. Does your car have CA emissions? If so, then factory cats are a must as car is programmed for them and aftermarket CA compliant cats are not readily available and cheaper Federal cats will trigger the P420 in short order.
When it comes to cat issues shops change them out, once and done. No recalls on the work performed or let's try this first and see what happens.
They are a business and only make money off first-time fixes not experimental repairs.
You can change your rear O2 sensors but 9 out of 10 the cats are worn out. Good news is money is not wasted on the new sensors as they all should be changed when new cats are installed.
Thanks for the input! Any chance you might know a website(Besides youtube) that will show how to remove one properly? I might try to give it the good ol "college" try and maybe it remove it myself to replace.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Only online site I trust is alldatadiy.com. It's a subscription service that provides a factory service manual, Different time lengths for different prices. I use it for all the vehicles in my fleet and family vehicles that I work on.

Reactions: RedBu08
1 - 6 of 6 Posts