Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 malibu LT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new here. I bought my 17 Malibu in April of 17. It just went out of warranty and I changed out the original speakers on my 7" base radio with Bose speakers. I ordered them from Rock Auto. They sound better to me. I did have to trim each speaker where the input harness plugs into the speaker. There is a tab on both original and Bose speakers. I snipped the tabs with a small pair of shears. Just wanted to do it. Lots of work to do it and since I am 62 years old, it is more of a chore for me than it would have been 30 years ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine is a 2019 so I still have over a year on warranty. But I'm thinking about doing the same, especially the back speakers. The factory speakers are just 6.5" paper cones with a whizzer cone on it for a tweeter. You would think a $20k car could afford better than a 98 cent speaker eh? I'll probably replace with the popular 6.5" Kickers. Synthetic cone with UV resistant foam roll and a real tweeter. Should give better bass even if I keep the front pair. I did the same on a 2008 Pontiac and it was a big improvement. I'm just trying to decide whether to wait another year.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a speaker upgrade with the warranty.
Better speakers in a $20k car LOL, my '11 Tahoe LTZ w/Bose has the same door speakers as my old '09 'bu LS . Had a LR rattling in the Tahoe.
The 'bu FR door speaker went dead, I upgraded all 4 and the base LS stereo had enough bass to vibrate the inside rearview mirror. At least the '09 had 6x9 in the rear deck.
Both vehicles used 4 ohm speakers BTW, at least that was marked on the originals.
My OEM speakers didn't have any + or - markings so I had to consult a wiring diagram to get polarity correct for the replacements.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Something funny along the lines of speaker upgrades. I bought a 2018 Premier that had a sticker of $35,468 that has the Bose system. I thought the sound was decent at first. After a while as I listed to more music I noticed the bass was muddy on some songs. I decided to check out the rear deck speakers for a possible upgrade. Under there I saw a Bose part number sticker with another sticker sticking out under it. I pealed off the Bose sticker and it was a white acdelco sticker with a part number. They just put a bose part sticker over a delco sticker? You can buy the "Bose" speaker for $63 on gmpartsdirect but if you put in the delco part number it is only $15.78. I started searching the part numbers and found out Bose likes to just license the brand name to OE speakers that "meet rigorous Bose quality specifications" rather than mfg the speaker.

·
Registered
2017 malibu LT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I suspect that ac delco makes all the speakers. I do get a better range of sound but I knew going into this that the Bose soeakers are only a marginal upgrade. The factory gn systems have always been a odd ohm value. In the 70's the factory speakers were 5 ohms. Replacement speakers were 8 ohms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts