Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this weekend we finally changed the oil in the Malibu and let me tell you what a PITA. The drop in filter cover is about in the most retarded spot you can have it. I had to use a pair of channel locks to get to it because the DIY autoshop I was at didnt have a shallow enough socket.

Finally got it done but I wish it still had a regular oil filter.

Any advice for next time? What do all of you other DIY guys use to get the filter cover off?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, the 2.2s have the same size filter?

Ill go to AZ and ask around. The one I go to has a pretty knowledgeable manager which is a huge plus.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Amazon has one for $7 Search for Lisle 14700 Oil Filter Wrench for GM 2.2L

·
Registered
490 Posts
I just bought a 32mm socket from Advanced Auto for my wifes old Alero. It had the 2.2, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be the same as on the 2.4. I believe the socket was between $7-13. No need to get a special one, any old 32mm will do.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just bought a 32mm socket from Advanced Auto for my wifes old Alero. It had the 2.2, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be the same as on the 2.4. I believe the socket was between $7-13. No need to get a special one, any old 32mm will do.
No, they wont. The intake runners on the 2.4 get in the way of the regular socket. You need a very shallow socket to get it on the actual cover.

I would check yours as well.

·
Registered
490 Posts
No, they wont. The intake runners on the 2.4 get in the way of the regular socket. You need a very shallow socket to get it on the actual cover.

I would check yours as well.
Interesting, if you use an extension will it work? I know that I used a 12" extender rod in order to use the socket I bought. I know something got in the way on the Alero, but I can't remember what it was. I hope I don't have to buy another one since I've already got a socket. When I pick my car up tomorrow I'll have to check it out.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
An extension will not work. At least on the 2.4 it wont.

Hopefully yours will work for you but dont be bummed if it doesnt. :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
An extension will not work. At least on the 2.4 it wont.

Hopefully yours will work for you but dont be bummed if it doesnt. :D
Yeah I can't remember if it was a radiator hose or just some other wires that got in the way. What's the difference between the two engines? Is the 2.4 just a bored out 2.2 or are they two totally different engines? I have to say I do love the filter being on the top of the engine. It saves a huge mess.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just poked a hole in my old filters. No need to try to keep them together as they will be crushed anyway. I cant say I like the higher prices on the filters either.

Displacement for the 2.2 L engine is 2196 cc (134 cu in) with an 86 mm (3.38 in) bore and 94.6 mm (3.72 in) stroke. Compression is 9.5:1 or 10:1, delivering 135 to 143 hp (101 to 107 kW) and 142 to 152 lb·ft (193 to 206 N·m) of torque.
The LE5 is a larger 2.4 L — 2376 cc (144.9 cu in) — version of the Ecotec. Both the 88 mm (3.5 in) bore and 98 mm (3.9 in) stroke are larger, and Variable Valve Timing on the intake and exhaust improve low-end torque. Compression is 10.4:1. Power is 164-177 hp (123-132 kW) and torque is 159-170 lb·ft (215-230 N·m).
Basically its bored out and has VVT.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.