Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Amir, is your Premier running normal again?

It will be interesting if this problem is widespread in the 2017's, we are getting more reports of this lately as we're such a tiny slice of the ownership base. GM has been good about offering extended warranty periods for wide-spread issues. For example, in my wife's 2010 Equinox with the 2.4L I-4 SIDI engine (first application and year for that engine), they extended the warranty to 10 yrs/120k for the high pressure fuel pump and timing chain. We had our issues with both during the 3 yr. warranty (three timing chains, two HPFPs) and after that was all taken care of GM sends the letter. There were some other such warranty extensions for the vehicle (those issues never showed up), don't be surprised if this tranny gets such treatment.
Hello,
I haven't had any issue since my last visit. I hope it stays this way. These issues are really frustrating on new cars because you lose confidence on the car. I keep thinking what if this happens during family trips.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
484 Posts
Agreed but GM isn't alone with this. I knew full-well that I was taking a chance with the new 9 speed transmission.

Honda had their share of issues in the early 2000's with a transmission design. Look at the Mopar boys and the troubles they had (have?) with the ZF-desgined 9 speed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Honda goes through this mess again with their new 10 speed in the 2018 Accord.

·
Registered
484 Posts
This is interesting. Thanks. No issue so far

I assumed that the fix applied to your car would take care of the issue for good. The upside? This doesn't seem to be a wide-spread design flaw but rather a bad lot of parts (at least so far!!), meaning the fix for your car should be a one-time deal.

I hope..... :laugh:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Update: On March 12th I purposely took all side streets instead of highway to see if the problem would reoccur...and it did. CEL came on. Trans wouldn’t go beyond 4th or 5th gear. I limped into the dealer. Car wouldn’t go into reverse. Dealer has had the car since, waiting on a solenoid valve. Currently driving a loaner 2018 Malibu L 1.5L.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Update: On March 12th I purposely took all side streets instead of highway to see if the problem would reoccur...and it did. CEL came on. Trans wouldn’t go beyond 4th or 5th gear. I limped into the dealer. Car wouldn’t go into reverse. Dealer has had the car since, waiting on a solenoid valve. Currently driving a loaner 2018 Malibu L 1.5L.
So the problem mainly occurs when taking off from a traffic light?

·
Registered
29 Posts
So the problem mainly occurs when taking off from a traffic light?
Yes, and also when coming to a stop the car would hesitate or jerk while downshifting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got the car back and dealer replaced a few parts. See attached. Trans is performing normally. At first the service tech told me they were only replacing the valve solenoid. Later they decided to do the whole valve body. I asked the tech to evaluate the condition of the trans fluid and if it’d be wise to replace. Tech said fluid looked fine and did not recommend replacing. To me it just seems like common sense...TSB mentions “possible casting debris in valve body” but surprisingly TSB doesn’t mention changing fluid. I will likely be changing the trans fluid soon. I will give the new valve body time to run through the gears a few times first. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
From what I have read, GM WILL be going to a constantly variable transmission in 2019, instead of keeping the 9 speed or going to a 10 speed. My 2017 still gas the 6 speed and no problems.

Our 2017 keeps setting a check engine light due to brake pedal position sensor. Anyone else seen this? Not sure if it is the sensor or in the wiring harness.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just dropped my Malibu off at the dealer for this exact same thing. Onstar ran diagnostics and it had the same codes (P0700 and P2820). My car has 13K miles on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pretty upset owner here. Three weeks ago my 2017 Premier took a crap at a stop light. Pushed the gas it groaned thumped and revved to 5000. Put it in park back in drive revved up. Turned it off back on nothing. It just took a big crap. People honking yelling swerving because my 35 thousand POS can't even go forward at 34000 miles. It got towed and had to have solenoids and valve body replaced over two weeks because of backorder. I asked for an explanation and was told the transmission is complicated and new. He then said hopefully it doesn't happen again since it is a 2000 job out of warranty. What a POS. Runs fine now but get to worry about that at every stop now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Re: Check have had trouble with 2017 malibu notengine light and transmission problem.

Today at the red light, I recognized a transmission kick from stop. Basically the car would not move when the shifter was in D. When I pressed the gas pedal harder, it suddenly jumped. I ignored it, but it got worse at the next light . The car would not move at all. Check engine light came on. When I got it home, I put the car in reverse and it would not go again . Instead, it kept going forward!! Isn't this wired? The car is also kind of rough to drive. I don't have OBDII scanner, don't know what the codes are. It's like there is no feedback when I press the gas pedal. Have had trouble with 2017 Malibu "not accelerating from stop. Only code was for brake position sensor, so they replaced that. Code has not come back.
Any idea could be wrong? 8900 miles on the car

have had trouble with 2017 Malibu not accelerating. Only code was for brake pedal positin sensor ,so replaced that. Code has not come back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been. having problems with my transmission 2017 Premier 2.0 Turbo, the car seems to go into Neutral then grabs and jets forward. A few days ago I was sitting at a red light, let off the brake and nothing I had already touched the gas pedal it suddenly grabbed and the car shot forward. I am glad the lady in front of my had just moved or I would have rear ended her. This is really scary. Pulled over as I did the check engine light comes on. Towed to the dealer, they said it was just a software update, cleared the code and back on the road. I don't trust the car if it's going to do this, it was scary. I also have random glitches now the tire pressure is stuck at 28 but the tire light is off now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
New TSB up about the 9 speed. Amir, sounds like your issue exactly, same parts all replaced:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=203805

Appears to have been a bad batch of parts when you read the TSB.
I have this issue with my 2017 Premier now. 34k Km. Just fixed "shift to park" issue a few weeks ago.
I'd really like to have this TSB in hand when going to my dealer. Is there another link to it as this link doesn't seem to work. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Campb to the rescue as usual. (y)

Reading the two bulletins implies a software fix might have been the root cause for most owners. I hope that's true, sure beats having a transmission teardown.

@Bronte_Dude

Your dealer should be able to diagnose and find this(these) bulletin(s). Usually better to let them try then use if they give you a "cannot duplicate" or "we dunno".

#1 Most recent (reprogramming): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10137533-9999.pdf

#2 Other older they move to if #1 fails: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10129105-9999.pdf

·
Registered
18 Posts
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.