Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2012 Chevy Malibu. Engine light came on. Had it checked at O'Reilly. Said it was cam sensor. Changed both to be on safe side had code cleared now light is back on. Says cam sensor again. Any ideas. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
798 Posts
need a proper diagnosis. All auto part stores want to do is sell parts, regardless if it fixes the issue or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
need a proper diagnosis. All auto part stores want to do is sell parts, regardless if it fixes the issue or not.
Thank you silver one. The last diagnosis I got from a mechanic was change the oil about every 1500 miles and that should fix it

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,658 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,005 Posts
Thank you silver one. The last diagnosis I got from a mechanic was change the oil about every 1500 miles and that should fix it
That diagnosis is not a correct diagnosis for any problem, don't go back to that mechanic. What were the exact codes that came from the computer?

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Get a new mechanic and I would bad mouth this guy all over town. Ripping off people on oil changes every 1500 miles is not repairing anything. Oil would have to be severely neglected to trigger the code in the list below but is mentioned as it can happen.
Actuator Solenoid's are a common part to wear out and easy to change and most likely is your problem.

P0010 Possible Causes
What does this mean?
  • Dirty Oil
  • Low engine oil level
  • Faulty Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid
  • Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid harness is open or shorted
  • Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

Reactions: cp-the-nerd

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,005 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. Got parts today. Gonna change this afternoon. Hope this fixes it. How do I clear codes off or do I need to?
Get a new mechanic and I would bad mouth this guy all over town. Ripping off people on oil changes every 1500 miles is not repairing anything. Oil would have to be severely neglected to trigger the code in the list below but is mentioned as it can happen.
Actuator Solenoid's are a common part to wear out and easy to change and most likely is your problem.

P0010 Possible Causes
What does this mean?
  • Dirty Oil
  • Low engine oil level
  • Faulty Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid
  • Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid harness is open or shorted
  • Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,005 Posts
If you disconnect the battery during the actuator replacement, that will clear the codes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts