Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy Chevy Malibu 2.4 petrol LTZ automatic transmission (150.000km)
Could you tell me how to care about this car? How often should I change oil in transmission and engine.
Advise me anything about service what should I do after I buy it :)
Thanks

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,352 Posts
You can't go wrong using the "Severe Service" maintenance schedule.

Trans: Change about every 50K miles (80km). If it hasn't been done yet or you can't confirm it, do it immediately after purchase. Use proper grade of fluid.

Engine: Change every 5K miles (8km). At a minimum, use a synthetic blend oil, or step up to full synthetic.

Can you share one or more pics of the car, with at least the front facia and possibly a pic of the engine compartment? That'll help with determining the North American versioning to ensure that you're posting in the right place, and that our members (mostly from NA) will guide you adequately.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can't go wrong using the "Severe Service" maintenance schedule.

Trans: Change about every 50K miles (80km). If it hasn't been done yet or you can't confirm it, do it immediately after purchase. Use proper grade of fluid.

Engine: Change every 5K miles (8km). At a minimum, use a synthetic blend oil, or step up to full synthetic.

Can you share one or more pics of the car, with at least the front facia and possibly a pic of the engine compartment? That'll help with determining the North American versioning to ensure that you're posting in the right place, and that our members (mostly from NA) will guide you adequately.

I dont have pic of engine compartment sorry. Should I use engine oil GM Dexos II ?
And what brand of transmission oil should I use ?

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,352 Posts
In NA, that is, indeed, a Gen8 model.

Engine: To adhere strictly to the warranty requirements, if any warranty remains, use only oil with the dexos® license. But, if you can bring yourself to do it, just get full synthetic from a reputable brand (Mobil 1, AmsOil, Shell, etc.) in the correct viscosity. I've used Royal Purple, AmsOil, and Mobil 1.

Transmission: Again, either adhere strictly to warranty requirements, or use a brand of full synthetic transmission fluid. I've used AmsOil. To drain and fill the trans, you'll need to lift the car and locate the 2 plugs on the side of the case. The lower one is for draining, the upper one is for filling and checking the level. You can't drain all of the fluid, so a number of members on CMF suggest draining off what you can in 2 or 3 efforts. A reasonable scenario is to do an engine oil change and a trans fluid drain/fill, then do a 2nd and 3rd trans fluid drain/fill on the next 2 oil changes. The next trans drain/fill will be about 50K miles (80km) after the 3rd one.

The reasoning behind several drain/fill events is purely mathematical: If you get about ½ at each drain, then on the first fill you'll have about 50% new-to-old. On the second, about 75%, and on the third about 88%. After that, it's your decision if you want to chase diminishing returns.

Disclosure: I have a 2011 Gen7 with the 3.6L VVT and 6-speed transmission. This version of the trans has a small, inconspicuous drain on the bottom of the case and a dipstick with filler neck. Your experiences should be similar.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
current DEXOS for the Gen 8 is DEXOS 1 generation 2 and is full synthetic...plenty of choices available to use...

transmission fluid is a DEXRON VI fluid with several choices available as well...download a copy of your owners manual if you don't already have one...

good luck with your new to you Gen 8 Malibu

Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for informations and I have already 2 question.
Chevy Malibu 2012-2014 - 2.4 eco Engine is working with 6T40 automatic transmission ? is that right CODE 6T40 ? because on website there is also some AT with 6T45 or 6T50, 6T30....Just want to know what kind of transmission is used.
2nd question: How many LITRES of fluid is needed to refill transmission.

·
Administrator
17,352 Posts
The transmission designations are just that - designations. The way to understand what they mean, using your 6T40 as an example, is:

6 - it's a 6-speed.
T - it's mounted transversely (sideways) in the car and is therefore designed for use in a FWD vehicle.
40 - the strength rating when compared to other numbers, such as 30, 45, 50, 60, 70, etc. This indicates either the maximum torque/HP rating or GVWR assigned by GM.

My 2011 (Gen7) has a 3.6L V6 and 6-speed automatic with a designation of 6T70 or 6T75.

In years gone by, vehicles with a 3-speed auto would be assigned names like Turbo Hydromatic 350 or Turbo Hydromatic 400, with the number indicating some feature that was different from the others. Those same transmissions might be re-designated as 3L80 or 3L85, the "L" meaning "longitudinally mounted", or lengthwise, indicating a RWD or 4WD setup.

There are transmissions with designations like 4L80e, with "e" standing for "electronic" as opposed to a 4L80 that is mechanically controlled.

For more information, and to keep from turning this into a long-winded discussion, there's more info here at Wikipedia.

I believe that the complete fluid fill volume is 9 US quarts, but when draining you'll only be able to get about 50% of that. You may wish to do more research on the volume in litres and/or the actual volume, since I am not 100% sure of that quantity.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts

Capacity Specifications
TRANSMISSION FLUID CAPACITY

4T45-E
Bottom Pan Removal6.6 liters (7.0 quarts)
Complete Overhaul9.0 liters (9.5 quarts)
Dry12.2 liters (12.9 quarts)
6T40 / 6T45
Valve Body Cover Removal5.0-7.0 liters (5.3-7.4 quarts)
Fluid Change - Drain Plug4.0-6.0 liters (4.2- 6.3 quarts)
Overhaul8.0-8.5 liters (8.5-9.0 quarts)
6T70 / 6T75
Valve Body Cover Removal5.0-7.0 liters (5.3-7.4 quarts)
Fluid Change - Drain Plug4.0-6.0 liters (4.2- 6.3 quarts)
Overhaul7.0-9.0 liters (7.4-9.5 quarts)
NOTE: All capacities are approximate. When adding, be sure to fill to the approximate level. Recheck fluid level after filling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts