Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Malibu License Plate LEDs

License plate bulbs are used to illuminate the rear license plate on your Malibu. From the factory, the bulbs are incandescent, lighting up in a yellowish color.

Newer luxury cars use LED modules to illuminate the license plate with modern, cool white light. By changing your license plate bulbs to LED, you can easily add this luxury look to your Malibu!

The installation is 100% plug-and-play, just replace your factory bulb.

With low price and easy install, this is one of the best, easiest modifications you can do to improve how your Malibu looks at night.

Brightness:

Diode Dynamics offers several bulb options so you can choose what fits you best. These options are listed by the design and the lumen output of each bulb:

SMD2: Slightly higher brightness than OEM bulbs. (24 lumens)
HP3: Much brighter than OEM bulbs. These are bright! (56 lumens)
HP5: Triple the brightest of OEM! (92 lumens)

Bulb Design

SMD2: Compact design, with two 5050-size Epistar SMD chips, driven at high power for maximum effective brightness. Outputs at 180 degrees.

HP3: One high-power SMD under a diffusing lens for truly even output (no hotspots). Constant current design and air-cooled base for superior reliability. Features dual contact pins and nonpolar function for easy installation.

HP5: Four high-power SMDs, under a diffusing lens. Just like the HP3, but run at higher power, with integrated copper plating for superior heat dissipation, allowing maximum brightness.

These bulbs are made up of a quality plastic connector to slide right into the plug, as well as high durability terminals. A load resistor is embedded to prevent blowing the LEDs from voltage surge, and a diode is implanted to protect the LEDs from reverse polarity. The LED is wired for 12V operation, the kind found on all vehicles.

Included in your order is TWO BULBS (to fit your Malibu).

All of our products come with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee and a 3-year limited warranty.

2004-2012 Chevrolet Malibu License Plate LEDs

194 Bulb Models

2004-2012 Chevrolet Malibu License Plate LEDs

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post, PM, or Email [email protected]

*PM us for the free-shipping code* (U.S. forum members only)

Thanks for looking!
Nick C.
Diode Dynamics

Customer Reviews

"I bought this LED a wile back for my 2011 Malibu, and i must say it still looks amazing, so bright and so good looking i get compliments from my friends all the time and ask me where i got it. Will definitely buy more LED's from this site. (Posted on July 12, 2014)" -Thomas

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,908 Posts
Re: FS: BRIGHT License Plate LEDs! Plug and Play installation! Same-day shipping!

The video is really interesting and I learned some stuff that I'll never be able to repeat,

The biggest thing I learned is that Diode Dynamics is not a drop-shipper but actually designs their own LEDs. Very interesting!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: FS: Malibu License Plate LEDs! Plug and Play installation! Same-day shipping!

Looking for some hids in a certain color hopefully you can help . will be contacting soon
We offer the 3000K / 4300K / 5000K / 6000K / 8000K color temperature options

Anything past 8000K will lose a significant amount of usable output and will potentially get you pulled over

Please feel free to give us a call for more information: (314) 205-3033

Thanks!
Nick C.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Difference in HP3 vs HP5? There is no display photo for the HP5's

Thank you:D
Here's a recent comparison on a 2015 Silverado:

The HP3 is 56 lumens (measured) / HP5's are 92 lumens each (measured)

They are also available in warm white, 4000K, 5000K, and 6000K color temperatures

Thank you!
Nick C.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, the HP3 looked great, but HP5 hands down blows the HP3 away, I will definitely remember you guys the next time I have to purchase more LED's

Thank you for the photos and quick response!
We offer a variety of bulb models with differing lumen outputs so customers can select the output that fits their needs.

I agree, the HP5 is definitely a great option

Nick C.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Will the 194 SMD-2 fit in place of a 194 map light bulb in the same map light housing above the driver?? Would it still be plug-n-play?? I really want the red above my drivers seat as the white is too harsh on my eyes.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will the 194 SMD-2 fit in place of a 194 map light bulb in the same map light housing above the driver?? Would it still be plug-n-play?? I really want the red above my drivers seat as the white is too harsh on my eyes.
All of our 194-sized LED bulb replacements will be a direct plug and play replacement.

If you go with red, I suggest the HP3/HP5 since red produces less visible output than cool white

We also offer warm white, 4000K, and 5000K if you find the 6000K Cool White too harsh

Nick C.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
All of our 194-sized LED bulb replacements will be a direct plug and play replacement.

If you go with red, I suggest the HP3/HP5 since red produces less visible output than cool white

We also offer warm white, 4000K, and 5000K if you find the 6000K Cool White too harsh

Nick C.
Thanks for the quick reply. I assumed to use the red HP2 since in red it has a 24 lumen output, and the original incandescent bulb is a 25 lumen output. I thought then they may not rival each other. Would I be disappointed if I used this method of thinking? (I need low-level work light that my eyes won't under-dilate to.)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I assumed to use the red HP2 since in red it has a 24 lumen output, and the original incandescent bulb is a 25 lumen output. I thought then they may not rival each other. Would I be disappointed if I used this method of thinking? (I need low-level work light that my eyes won't under-dilate to.)
The HP3 has 56 lumens of output, SMD2 has 24, but red will have less "visible" output than a comparable white LED.

I recommend the HP3 for your application

Nick C.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
The HP3 has 56 lumens of output, SMD2 has 24, but red will have less "visible" output than a comparable white LED.

I recommend the HP3 for your application

Nick C.
Nick- Thanks, and roger that, but uh...haha perhaps I jumped the gun a little because I just got shipping notification about an hour ago on my order. (Shipment #1162625 for Order #11279713) I ordered the '2x194_SMD2R-lic1' Very quick service thus far, I just placed order yesterday.

So based on your recommendation should I just send 'em back or try them? I don't want to necessarily return something I've already put in.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I'm very happy to say I promptly received my LED's from Diode Dynamics, and I think they're spectacular! Here's the SMD2 (in red) plugged into the standard 7th Gen 194 map light. Took like, 8 seconds to do this. The light output from the SMD2 is exactly what I wanted, as I was looking for a soft light more adaptable for night vision. The photo's make it a bit brighter than in-person since I held the exposure open. Tomorrow I'll put in the license plate light and post that up too.

But what good's a thread without pictures?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Reactions: Diode Dynamics
1 - 20 of 50 Posts