Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Chevrolet’s very first nine-speed transmission is finally rolling out, first debuting on the 2017 Malibu and then the 2017 Cruze Diesel and 2018 Equinox.

The new transmission is available with the 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder 2017 Chevrolet Malibu and is said to be 3 percent more fuel efficient compared to the current six-speed automatic, netting a highway rating of 33 mpg. The new transmission also works with stop/start to increase fuel economy even more by shutting down the engine in stop-and-go traffic.

Chevrolet promises its nine-speed transmission, called the Hydra-Matic 9T50, will be refined and balanced, however, other automakers have experienced problems with their nine-speed units, mainly Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) brands like Jeep. The nine-speed automatic is generally becoming more mainstream, as it was once reserved for luxury cars like Mercedes-Benzes and Land Rovers.

Chevy’s transmission has a wider 7.6:1 overall ratio than the current transmission, which translates into a meaty first gear for brisk off-the-line acceleration and a tall final gear for low-rpm highway cruising.

'The smaller steps between the gears, compared to the six-speed, enable smooth, almost imperceptible upshifts, for excellent refinement,' said Dan Nicholson, vice president, Global Propulsion Systems. 'No matter the engine torque or vehicle speed, the 9T50 is always in the perfect gear.'

Nicholson added that the new transmission will be available on four Chevrolet models and 10 GM products by the end of next year.
Read more about the Chevy’s First 9-Speed Transmission Debuts on Malibu at AutoGuide.com.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,377 Posts
something else new to go wrong!! FCA's version which may be the same is having issues!!!
??? Fart Chrysler's 9 speed was not co-developed with GM or Ford. The 9 speed in the Malibu and soon other cars was a joint venture by GM and Ford with development led by GM. Users around here seem quite happy with it with only a couple cases of bugs being worked out (under warranty of course). Most new development has first year quirks but there certainly hasn't been anything dramatic here.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've driven Mopars with the 9 speed and presently own a 2017 Premier with the jointly developed GM/Ford 9 speed. Night and day operation and feel, the GM/Ford design is lightyears superior to the the ZF/Chrysler deisgn.

The two products have no relationship with each other except they both have 9 speeds. I suggest the Rodhotter read up on the differences in the design and why the Chrysler design acts the way it does (and it is peculiar).

ZF's 9-Speed 9HP Transmission Puts Dog Clutches On The Leash - The Truth About Cars

https://www.cars.com/articles/not-all-nine-speeds-are-created-equal-1420692761076/

In the year I've had the car there have been zero hiccups in the way the car shifts or acts related to the transmission with no software updates needed. The paragraph in the cars.com article is exactly what I've experienced with my Malibu, the transmission doesn't hunt, it downshifts quickly when you need it and overall it just "works" well. That's rare for a brand new product and shows GM/Ford hit the target pretty spot on out of the box, something the Mopar boys can't say.

·
Banned
616 Posts
generally i think anything FCA is made cheaper but not sold as such but the GM-Ford version MAY be better why fix it if its not broke for minimal gains IMO!!! i know the government is a big part of todays vehicle development pushing for more + more MPG's + less pollution, but face it getting todays tanks aka big heavy guzzling pickups OFF the road would have better results!!! i will stick to my stick-manual trannies, + only buy such as my recent preowned frontier purchase because the midsize gm pickups i wanted did not offer a manual configured to my liking + price range. to each his own, you got deep pockets $$$ go for the gusto $$$$ but most average buyers want a reliable + fair priced vehicle! i will say the malibu is a good buy at face value, but the horrible reliability many buyers have experienced stinks, so far at 50,xxx girlfriends 13 LS 2.5 has been good except a radiator replacement, not normal + i am waiting for the wheel bearing issues to appear that my sisters 2010 has already experienced twice. stuff like that is 100,000 plus issues not 50,xxx plus or minus many have experienced!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts