Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have A 2008 Malibu Lt That Is A Beautiful Black And Has The Gaudy Chevy Bowties Front And Rear In The Usual Gold Color. I Want To Remove Them But Don't Know If They Are Just Attached With Adhesive Or Have Protrusions That Clip Into Holes In The Body/grill. Has Anyone Removed These? How Are They Held On?
I May Have The Color Changed To Match The Body Color And Reattach Them But Need To Know How They Are Attached?
Any Help/advice Is Appreciated.
Arizona Vic

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I Just Posted That I Have Solved My Problem With The Gold Bowties. Yest. I Also Had Sent An Email To Chev. Mtr. Div. Asking If The Bowties Were Adhered To The Car With Pins And Fasteners Or Adhesive. I Just Got The Funniest Response From Them By Phone - - - - Yes, They Are Fastened With Pins And Fasteners And Gm Discourages Owners From "modifying" Their Cars As It May Cause The Warranty To Be Invalid. Ha! I Asked Her How Removing Trim Or Bowties Would Affect The Warranty And She Couldn't Answer Anything But What She Had Previously Said. I Find It Hilarious That They Could Even Consider That Statement On A Question Like This. Got My Laughs For Today!

·
Registered
12 Posts
The GOLD overlays on both the front and rear embems come off to reveal nice CHROME bowties. This was the FIRST thing I did when I got my Bu home! It took me a couple of hours because I was taking my time not to scratch up the chrome plastic underneath.

The gold hard plastic overlay with usually shatter into at least 2 pieces when you try to pull it off. It take a lot of patience not to screw up the chrome emblem underneath so take your time!

90% of your time will be trying to take the adhesive off once the gold overlay comes of.

I've done this to all my cars for years now.

Here is a MILLION dollar annual savings tip for GM!!!
1) A GOLD emblem is downright cheap ass looking when 99.99% of the car is CHROME!!! (HELLO... common sense calling!)
2) Fire the person who does think it's okay and save on their salary.
3) Stop using the gold overlay on the chrome emblem and save yourself ALL that money.
4) The CHROME BOWTIE itself will probably win over more customers itself over the horrible looking GOLD overlay that fades HORRIBLY in a year or two making the WHOLE product look cheap ass!

knock knock CHEVY!!! Please oh please STOP screwing up INCREDIBLE new product with obsurd things like a GOLD BOWTIE!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
With my vehicle (dark gray metallic) the gold bowtie compliments very well the colors. It sands out, and I like it for that. For my steering wheel, though, I have considered cutting some vinyl and making it a dark gray to match the interior.

Now that I think about it...would it void my warranty if I went to the Ford dealership and got them to change out the two bow ties (front and back) and steer wheel with their own FORD emblem? A question, I wonder...

·
Registered
512 Posts
The GOLD overlays on both the front and rear embems come off to reveal nice CHROME bowties. This was the FIRST thing I did when I got my Bu home! It took me a couple of hours because I was taking my time not to scratch up the chrome plastic underneath.

The gold hard plastic overlay with usually shatter into at least 2 pieces when you try to pull it off. It take a lot of patience not to screw up the chrome emblem underneath so take your time!

90% of your time will be trying to take the adhesive off once the gold overlay comes of.

I've done this to all my cars for years now.

Here is a MILLION dollar annual savings tip for GM!!!
1) A GOLD emblem is downright cheap ass looking when 99.99% of the car is CHROME!!! (HELLO... common sense calling!)
2) Fire the person who does think it's okay and save on their salary.
3) Stop using the gold overlay on the chrome emblem and save yourself ALL that money.
4) The CHROME BOWTIE itself will probably win over more customers itself over the horrible looking GOLD overlay that fades HORRIBLY in a year or two making the WHOLE product look cheap ass!

knock knock CHEVY!!! Please oh please STOP screwing up INCREDIBLE new product with obsurd things like a GOLD BOWTIE!!!
Uhhh...not sure where you're going with this...I see last-gen Silverados with gold Chevy badges and they haven't faded at all...

1) A gold Chevy badge provides some color contrast with the exterior paint and chrome accents. And what will you do with vehicles that have silver exterior paint? Vehicles like the Traverse would look as if there was no Chevy badge at all.
2) You'll have to fire about the entire Chevrolet design department. Unless you want cars designed to look like cardboard boxes with Chevy badges drawn in crayon, I suggest you not fire them all.
3) The gold overlay probably costs Chevy all of one or two dollars. It doesn't matter. The vast majority of Chevy owners like them.
4) Nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to buy a Chevy just because the badge is now chrome.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Uhhh...not sure where you're going with this...I see last-gen Silverados with gold Chevy badges and they haven't faded at all...

The gold bowties on my last two Chevy work trucks faded and one fell off.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I like the gold on mine, it compliments the dark red nicely

·
Registered
20 Posts
How about a picture of the result?

·
Registered
12 Posts

1) A gold Chevy badge provides some color contrast with the exterior paint and chrome accents. And what will you do with vehicles that have silver exterior paint? Vehicles like the Traverse would look as if there was no Chevy badge at all.
2) You'll have to fire about the entire Chevrolet design department. Unless you want cars designed to look like cardboard boxes with Chevy badges drawn in crayon, I suggest you not fire them all.
3) The gold overlay probably costs Chevy all of one or two dollars. It doesn't matter. The vast majority of Chevy owners like them.
4) Nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to buy a Chevy just because the badge is now chrome.
Obviously. all this is my opinion. And that opinion being that upscale and gold haven't gone together in trim in a decade or two. The Malibu is worthy of being considered upscale in my opinion and in my opinion the gold badges CHEAPEN that look. A GOLD bowtie IMO on a beautiful car like the Malibu is about as subtle and fitting as a GOLD front tooth on ANY person let alone a runway model!

Sorry, I know some love the gold bowtie but Chevy needs to go to finishing school and get rid of that one last piece of "hillbilly" to it. Of course IMO. Hell, I'm sure some people will be upset with what I say, but chances are those folk are the ones that think huge gold change and monster rings on all fingers are the coolest thing since sliced bread.

How about this, for those that want or must have their GOLD overlays, GM simply needs to ship the cars without it stuck on to the dealer. Upon delivery of the vehicle, simply asked the customer if they want the gold overlay afixed in the chrome. This is a brainless 5 second job that a porter could do without any chance of screwing it up!

How much are you willing to bet that the majority of the buying public would tell the dealer not to affix the cheap fading gold plastic over the VERY NICE CHROME BOWTIE???

As far as chrome bowtie being washed out on silver car. LOLs I've had several silver now and all chrome looks killer! Of course IMO. In fact I think it looks INCREDIBLE!

I'll post post pictures hopefully this weekend of my Imperial Blue Bu all Chrome. I'll even post a Silver Chevy vehicle and an 08 Red Bu chrome.

So... I'll see if I can post a little howto for the rest of you guys in the next week or so.

"The vast majority of Chevy owners like them." - BTW, obviously this is your opinion also. ;)

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
I respectfully disagree.

My red jewel tintcoat has tons of gold metalflake and I think the gold Bowtie compliments it nicely. :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
I respectfully disagree.

My red jewel tintcoat has tons of gold metalflake and I think the gold Bowtie compliments it nicely. :)

Pizza Man - I whole heartedly agree with you! Although I think we are exceptions to this case for the exact reason you stated above.

The gold flex in our paint accents with the bowtie nicely....Although we do have to remember we are the only one's who Malibu's do have this colour but heck we were silly enough to pay for it! LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pizza Man - I whole heartedly agree with you! Although I think we are exceptions to this case for the exact reason you stated above.

The gold flex in our paint accents with the bowtie nicely....Although we do have to remember we are the only one's who Malibu's do have this colour but heck we were silly enough to pay for it! LOL
That would be the color that can get away with it of all the colors.

I'll take pictures of a Red Jewel with chrome bowties and you guys can compare and vote. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would also be really interested in a step-by-step on how to remove the gold and reveal the chrome underneath. How does it look?

Pictures would be awesome...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Obviously. all this is my opinion. And that opinion being that upscale and gold haven't gone together in trim in a decade or two. The Malibu is worthy of being considered upscale in my opinion and in my opinion the gold badges CHEAPEN that look. A GOLD bowtie IMO on a beautiful car like the Malibu is about as subtle and fitting as a GOLD front tooth on ANY person let alone a runway model!

Sorry, I know some love the gold bowtie but Chevy needs to go to finishing school and get rid of that one last piece of "hillbilly" to it. Of course IMO. Hell, I'm sure some people will be upset with what I say, but chances are those folk are the ones that think huge gold change and monster rings on all fingers are the coolest thing since sliced bread.

How about this, for those that want or must have their GOLD overlays, GM simply needs to ship the cars without it stuck on to the dealer. Upon delivery of the vehicle, simply asked the customer if they want the gold overlay afixed in the chrome. This is a brainless 5 second job that a porter could do without any chance of screwing it up!

How much are you willing to bet that the majority of the buying public would tell the dealer not to affix the cheap fading gold plastic over the VERY NICE CHROME BOWTIE???

As far as chrome bowtie being washed out on silver car. LOLs I've had several silver now and all chrome looks killer! Of course IMO. In fact I think it looks INCREDIBLE!

I'll post post pictures hopefully this weekend of my Imperial Blue Bu all Chrome. I'll even post a Silver Chevy vehicle and an 08 Red Bu chrome.

So... I'll see if I can post a little howto for the rest of you guys in the next week or so.

"The vast majority of Chevy owners like them." - BTW, obviously this is your opinion also. ;)
I'm pretty sure that GM doesn't need to "go to finishing school" just to satisfy the complaints of a few people. In all honesty, I have never, and I mean NEVER, heard a single complaint about the gold Chevy badge until now. I have them on my '07 Malibu, and I'll have them again on my 2010 Camaro. Both look just fine with them.

It would do you well to not make such massive generalizations about people. I love the gold Chevy badge. I am not a hillbilly, nor do I think that gold chains and rings are "the coolest thing since sliced bread." Seriously, you crossed the line with that comment. I don't give a damn if it's your opinion or not. If you know that it's going to offend people, then you shouldn't post it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm pretty sure that GM doesn't need to "go to finishing school" just to satisfy the complaints of a few people. In all honesty, I have never, and I mean NEVER, heard a single complaint about the gold Chevy badge until now. I have them on my '07 Malibu, and I'll have them again on my 2010 Camaro. Both look just fine with them.

It would do you well to not make such massive generalizations about people. I love the gold Chevy badge. I am not a hillbilly, nor do I think that gold chains and rings are "the coolest thing since sliced bread." Seriously, you crossed the line with that comment. I don't give a damn if it's your opinion or not. If you know that it's going to offend people, then you shouldn't post it.
Geewhiz everyone got worked up over this. It didn't offend me personally. I enjoy hearing about what others think regarding the looks of the vehicle. I'm anxious to see how it looks with the gold removed as mentioned above.

There's a few other threads where the dislike for the gold is mentioned. I think the bow tie mods in the thread below turned out pretty cool.

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.