Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I bought this car 2 month ago for very cheap in israel (2000$).
After i bought it the oil pressure sensor broke and the termoatat was stay on the open possition.
The motor leak oil but very very slow 2 point for a day.
So i replaced this 2 parts +did a transmission filter + oil change ,motor oil+filter ,air filter and did the oil filter adapter gasket .The old fluid was dark but shifting is feel better yet .
The car have 160k miles and thr last time that the spark replaced was in 50k .
In idel when the car not move the rpm is 800-900 and i feel a bit of a missfire but no any code from my elm obd2 or error light on dash . So what you advice me to do ? Live with that or replace sparks+wires? Buy OEM 41-100 or other sparks? My vin is 1G1ZH57N494127881
Thank you

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,682 Posts
I don't see where you replaced the thermostat. When the engine isn't up to normal operating temp, the computer is told that it's still "cold" and will likely not let the RPM drop down any further.

Since the spark plugs have over 100K miles on them, they probably also need to be replaced as a normal maintenance item, although that may not help lower the RPM. I'll let others comment on the spark plugs, but you'll probably find most folks suggesting to buy only the OE brand.

You need to be able to scan for all of the codes. A lot of the cheap scanners, like the one I bought a number of years ago, just read the P codes. The one I've been using for about a year now is a BlueDriver. It reads not just the P codes, but also the B, C, and U codes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see where you replaced the thermostat. When the engine isn't up to normal operating temp, the computer is told that it's still "cold" and will likely not let the RPM drop down any further.

Since the spark plugs have over 100K miles on them, they probably also need to be replaced as a normal maintenance item, although that may not help lower the RPM. I'll let others comment on the spark plugs, but you'll probably find most folks suggesting to buy only the OE brand.

You need to be able to scan for all of the codes. A lot of the cheap scanners, like the one I bought a number of years ago, just read the P codes. The one I've been using for about a year now is a BlueDriver. It reads not just the P codes, but also the B, C, and U codes.
Thank you for the answer ,
After warming up and stay on red light the rpm still 800+-
Should i buy plug wires too ?(replaced on 67K on the dealer )
I found Blue Driver from ebay for 110$ with shipping .no luck on amazon yet.

Thank you

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,682 Posts
What red light is staying on? If you're not sure, please take a picture and post it here.

My recommendation is to not buy parts until you know what is causing your issue. That starts with reading the trouble codes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.