Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Malibu LT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I got my engine light on and the report recommends to “De Ice the air intake system.” I’m not exactly sure what that means or if it applies to my car because my car does not have a cold air intake system. The report also says there’s a chance that the “catalytic converter Bank 1” and/or “oxygen sensor” need to be replaced. Any ideas or what I should do?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,082 Posts
If you have a turbo then de-icing the intake air system means that the intercooler has moist air in it that has frozen.

You car does have a CAI straight from the factory. When you lift the lid to change the filter, look in the bottom of the box. You'll see an opening that extends outside the engine bay where it can access fresh air from outside.

In fact, I don't know of a car built for sale in the US since the late 1990's that didn't come with a factory CAI. They discovered long ago that denser air made it easier to meet emissions requirements. Air is denser the colder it is, so they grabbed it.

Which O2 sensor did it indicate, #1 or #2?

Is the report you refer to from the scanner itself or from another source? If you have a copy, can you share the contents (picture or PDF) of this report?

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Malibu LT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you have a turbo then de-icing the intake air system means that the intercooler has moist air in it that has frozen.

You car does have a CAI straight from the factory. When you lift the lid to change the filter, look in the bottom of the box. You'll see an opening that extends outside the engine bay where it can access fresh air from outside.

In fact, I don't know of a car built for sale in the US since the late 1990's that didn't come with a factory CAI. They discovered long ago that denser air made it easier to meet emissions requirements. Air is denser the colder it is, so they grabbed it.

Which O2 sensor did it indicate, #1 or #2?

Is the report you refer to from the scanner itself or from another source? If you have a copy, can you share the contents (picture or PDF) of this report?

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Malibu LT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure, it does not specify a number as to which sensor. I did it at an AutoZone, they printed the report for me.

This is what it looks like.
image.jpg

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,082 Posts
A 4-cylinder has only 1 bank unless it's like a Subaru's flat four. Their info is incorrect where it says "bank 2". Check this webpage and others that you can Google.

The description says that it has detected that it's running lean and tried to correct it, but added so much fuel that it couldn't make it better. It doesn't say what parts to replace, only that a condition has been detected.

The page I linked above is a good place to start, and other members might come by and offer more input for you.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,054 Posts
The P1101 is just as important. That one has been corrected by simply 1) making sure the filter is clean and airbox is secured properly 2) cleaning the throttle body 3) worst case, cleaning the camshaft cover PCV orifice. There is a bulletin on it.

I haven't seen P2097 in a long time. It used to pop up in threads a couple times a year. Sensor replacement hadnt been fixing it long term. I believe there was a ECM update but I'll have to check when I get to a desktop system later. I think P1011 is the code you want to focus on as what causes it may be giving you the 2097 as collateral damage.

How.many miles on this car?

Reactions: EMC-7-

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Malibu LT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The P1101 is just as important. That one has been corrected by simply 1) making sure the filter is clean and airbox is secured properly 2) cleaning the throttle body 3) worst case, cleaning the camshaft cover PCV orifice. There is a bulletin on it.

I haven't seen P2097 in a long time. It used to pop up in threads a couple times a year. Sensor replacement hadnt been fixing it long term. I believe there was a ECM update but I'll have to check when I get to a desktop system later. I think P1011 is the code you want to focus on as what causes it may be giving you the 2097 as collateral damage.

How.many miles on this car?
My car has around 57,320 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,054 Posts
My car has around 57,320 miles.
I'd still have to check for the bulletin on P2097 but there is still an ECM update for that one. I'd still focus on P1101 and see if that can sort out. Powertrain warranty is 5 years 60k from delivery date under normal circumstances... any chance that is still active?

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts